Is this large enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Easter eggers, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    My coop is 3'L-3'W-4'H as the shelter and my run is 3'L-3'W-4'H is this large enough for 4 Easter egger hens?

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    No, you need 4 square feet per bird in the coop and 10 square feet per bird for the run. Your coop is big enough 1-2 hens. You run is not big enough for even 1 hen.

10x4 for the run and 4x4 for the coop minimum.

3. Poppafrog

Poppafrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Horn Lake MS
    The coop will be tight but your run does need more room.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    You can also check with your city to see what their requirements are. Maybe you can free range. That would help out a lot with the space issues. I know it's tough and it took a lot of convincing hubby to build the space he did. Little did he know it was for adding new chicks.[​IMG]. My dh is not that thrilled with the cost of the chicken expense, but he puts up with it.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

That is fine for little chicks, but not once they're around 6 weeks plus...No.
    Your housing is pretty small, but would do okay if you don't really get winters, and they would be outside in the run pretty much from dawn till dusk. But your run is is barely big enough for one adult chicken. For four birds, you need about 40 sq. ft of run space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by