is this layer feed still okay to use?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sydney13, Jun 19, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i bought some layer feed about 2 months ago thinking that the silkie that i just got was laying [​IMG]
    i dont know her age but i would guess she is 5 months old and she lives with some chicks who will lay in 4 more months. so should i just through out the layer feed because it will be about 6 months by the time they are all laying?
    by the way it has 2% de in it and is fully sealed in a metal garbage can

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    as long as it doesn't get wet or anything like that, I'd feed it to them. If you're worried, I'd blend it off with some fresh pellets.

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    young chicks shouldn't eat layer, its bad on their kidneys. Depending on the feed it should be good. Mine last 90 days because it has no preservatives in it. Maybe mix it will starter and through it in there. i find the chicks go for the crumble...IDK?

4. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:dont worry i wasn't planning on feeding it to the chicks until they lay, and if the silkie pullet who is older starts to lay before them i will offer oyster shells but keep them on chick feed

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    It should be ok to use. I would just use it asap........lord, mine go through it so dang quick i swear i am always at the feed store [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by