Is this leg mites or a normal foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sara1226, May 21, 2016.

1. sara1226

sara1226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I just noticed something about one of my chickens feet that seem different than the rest of my chickens. When her toes bend some of her toe scales pop up a bit. I can also lift them up a bit with my fingers. Here are a couple close ups of her toes. Her feet are dirty because she was walking dark colored dirt today. That isn't blood on her roosting pole.. just an FYI.. That's from a berry. There are no scabs or blood on her legs or toes.

Is it normal to be able to lift up the scales?

Thanks!!

2. sara1226

sara1226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin
    Still hoping for some feedback...

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It's a little hard to tell by the photo, but it certainly won't hurt to give her feet and legs a little soak (15mins or so) in a warm tub of water, add a drop of dish soap if you like. Gently scrub the feet legs with a soft brush like a toothbrush. Pat dry. Then apply some vaseline or oil to the legs and feet, either dip in oil or slather on the vaseline. You can repeat that a couple of times a week to see if it helps.

There are other treatment options listed in the links provided:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/03/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens.html
    http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2015/04/natural-treatment-for-scaly-leg-mites.html

4. grichard

grichard Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    She has leg mites personally I really haven't had a problem with leg mites but with the scale lifting up its a tell take sign to treat search up leg mites and chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by