Is THIS LEG MITES?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by saltandpepper2, Dec 23, 2014.

1. saltandpepper2

saltandpepper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Alright, so there's a storm coming in, and I need an answer before the deluge starts. I have a bantam Cochin with some serious fluffy legs. Today, while giving them their monthly checkup, i noticed his scales were raised. not dirty, not crusted, just raised. Is this from him having feathered legs, or does he have leg mites? all the birds with him have feathered feet, but their feet isn't as raised. The scales are not raised all up his legs, just on his foot, and the toes that feathers come from. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    It looks like leg mites to me. It is hard to tell on feather footed breeds. Since he is a rooster or cockerel and you don't have to worry about egg withdrawal I would wash his feet with dawn dish detergent soak them in warm water for 15 minutes to soften them up and use an old tooth brush to brush the scales. Take vaseline and rub it into the scales leaving a good coat of it on the scales. Then use 3 drops if a bantam and 6 drops if he is a large fowl of Ivermectin pour on for cattle (available at your local feed store) on the skin at the back of the neck. It important to get the drops on the skin and not the feathers. If it gets on the feathers the feathers will soak it up and it won't be absorbed into the skin. You should repeat this treatment in 7 to 10 days. I have had this treatment work. The raised scales will have to be shed and regrow before he will start looking good again. Good luck.:)

3. saltandpepper2

saltandpepper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Alright, That's what i was afraid of, guess who's going to spend three weeks washing 15 chicken's feet! [​IMG] Alright, thanks for the help. Already washed his feet and put the vaseline on. Yipee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by