Is this legal? Any attorneys out there? Long rant. Update page 9.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bluie, Apr 22, 2009.

1. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Hey everybody! I am so mad I could chew nails.

Along with another teacher, I am taking 30-40 minority high school students on a field trip to a local art museum and then to lunch at a nearby McDonalds. We have been to this McDonalds several times without incident. In fact, once or twice, the manager commented on how well behaved everyone was and once even GAVE a student extra food because he was so happy that everyone was so well-behaved.

So today, as a courtesy, I decided to go to the McDonalds and give the manager a heads up about tomorrow so that he could put on some extra fries and nuggets and otherwise be ready. I walk up to him, and tell him that I will be there about 12:15 tomorrow with 30-40 students. He grimaces, and said "Um, thats not good." I thought maybe he had another group of students coming in. I said what's the problem. He said that 30-40 students would clog up his dining room and then when his regular customers came in they would see all the students and leave. Incredulously, I said, so you are saying that you don't want the business of 30-40 students, and he said that's right. He suggested another McDonalds which would be very out of our way. He also suggested we split up the group into three groups of 10-15 each! I said we only have one bus! Once more I asked him to confirm that he didn't want our business, and he said yes and I left.

On our transportation request forms, it specifically says that we are going to this McDonalds. I might have a problem with the bus company if we deviate from this plan. Also, if we don't go at all these kids will not have any lunch. Also, they are all counting on going to McDonalds (unfortunately, for most, lunch is the highlight of the day, not the art museum). I don't think its legal for him to turn anyone away, even a large group, as long as his dining room will hold them (especially since they have always been well behaved). Every time we have been there, there have been a few empty chairs left over, even with the customers who were already there. I think he might also remember us and know that we are bringing minority students. This McDonalds is in a slightly upper class town and we are from another town, not upper class. We choose this location because it is nearby, big enough for all the students and also because the parking lot is big enough for the bus to turn around in.

My plan is thus: I am going to take them anyway. I am going to walk them in and then greet the manager. If he says anything, I am going to tell him that if he refuses service to this group of students, then I am going to get on my cell phone and call every tv station in the greater NYC area. I might call 911 too.

I don't think it is legal what he is doing. What do you all think?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I would take them anyways. Your field trip form states that they are to go to McDonalds. If he gives you trouble, report it to the paper.

3. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    If he is the manager, he can refuse service to whomever he pleases. He is not obligated to wait on anyone...

If he is ONLY the manager, then you may want to contact the district manager, or even the franchise owner, and let them know what is going on.

A call to 911 for a nonissue/non-emergency situation would not solve anything. In my opinion, that is extreme over kill.

4. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    I would take them also, and keep in mind, if he gives you any crap, every manager also has a boss and insist you talk to him "in person" or go even further and demand to talk to the owner about the business that his "manager" is turning down!!!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Calling 911 over this will get you in trouble.

Calling the local TV stations shouldn't.

Good luck!

6. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    I say take them...and if he gives you any crap report him to the owner, if the owner gives you any crap take it to the paper and the news

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

WOW. Yes, I would take them anyways and tell the manager he had ample warning of your arrival. 911 is not a good idea, but one can always call the non-emergency police station number.

I cannot believe someone would have the gall to say that to you!

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Um, they can refuse service to anyone, anytime, for any reason or no reason at all.

I have been on the OTHER side of this situation (having worked in fast food for a solid seven years), and it is chaos! The best way to work it out is to have a good idea of what everyone wants and call it in so they can start to get some of the things made in advance.

30 bossy, belligerant teenagers expecting their food in three minutes is no fun.

Just sayin'.

9. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    BTW: using 911 when there is no emergency is a federal offence.

10. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd take em' too. Can you split the group in 2? Maybe group one orders and gets seated, then group 2 comes in right behind? [​IMG] 911 won't solve anything though... Let us know what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by