Is this LG a good incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Marissa Van, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Marissa Van

Marissa Van Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    Need advice/ help on a affordable incubator and rotator for quail eggs! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Just starting out with quail.
    This is the incubator I'd like to get but would like to hear personal experience on it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I LOVE my GQF Genesis 1588 Hova-Bator, I also have the auto turner for it. It's so easy, you just add water and eggs ;)

I also was given a Little Giant forced air and I really dislike it. It has a manual thermostat not an auto adjusting one.

I cannot afford the Brinsea but I'm really happy with that Genesis.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  3. Marissa Van

Dec 17, 2013

Thanks I'll look into that one and see what it's like. I'd like to get one that is the easiest to use due to me working and can not be home to turn the eggs! [​IMG]

4. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I'm pretty sure you'll love it :)

I don't need to hover over it like the cheaper incubator. My hatches have been from 65-75% and that's my first 5 hatches. The 65% was lower than normal because I had shipped eggs in it. My eggs hatch at 75% or hopefully better this coming spring. More roosters!

1 person likes this.
  5. Marissa Van

Dec 17, 2013
    GQF 1588 Genesis Hova-Bator Incubator
    http://amzn.com/B001O4L9LK

Is this the one you use? It's a little more spendy then I'd like to spend but I will keep it in mind! Does it turn the eggs for you also?

6. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Yes, that's the one and that doesn't include the turner. You can either buy them separately or buy the kit.
    You will also either want to get a candler or make one from a bright LED flashlight.

7. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I know its decent amount of money but it is SO much better than a cheapy incubator.
    It will pay for itself way quicker with good hatches than that darn LG with its crappy hatches.

8. Marissa Van

Dec 17, 2013
    Yeah that's my main concern that I don't wanna be wasting money on eggs and birds if I don't have to that's why I'd rather just buy a good incubator especially since I'm new at doing this. Lol.
    How many days are they in the incubator?
    And after they hatch how soon do you put them in the brooder?

9. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Large fowl eggs are in there for 21 days. Bantams are 20 days I believe. I have had eggs hatch a day or two early also,( I only have Large Fowl). You take the turner out on day 18 and lay the eggs flat with the air sack's lowest point facing up. That's why you should candle.
    The chicks can stay in the incubator for 3 days. But on day two after hatch, if there are NO pips (little holes in the shell where the chick is breaking through for air) and the chicks are fluffy dry, then I have taken out all the chicks and the shell remnants. Spritzed the remaining eggs with water and closed up the incubator. They might be late Hatchers or they may be dead in shell. I keep the chicks in the house for the first day in the house brooder then move them outside to the shed brooder.
    I don't like keeping chicks in the house, the chick dust is not sanitary.

10. Marissa Van

Dec 17, 2013
    Okay perfect thanks for the tips. That helps a lot I think my first thing to do is get a incubator. And yes I will also get a light fir candling. How do you know where the air sack is? I'm really new to all of this thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by