Is this lice? [picture]

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleChickenLady, Nov 6, 2011.

1. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    So I brought home a chicken (Silkie) from a family member about a week ago. I was holding it today and noticed bugs on me.
    I checked the bird, and she's got them all over her. Checked my chickens and found none.

Here's a picture of them on my jacket.
    [​IMG]

Now.
    Two questions..

1) what is the best way to get rid of them?
    2) do I need to treat myself for lice?

Thank you in advance.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

They look a little to large? do you have something to compare them too!

3. LittleChickenLady

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Um...

The size of knat?
    A pinhead?

They weren't huge, that is just a very close up picture.
    Sorry.
    [​IMG]

4. kidcody

I was trying to compare them with your zipper? but it could be the angle but they look a little to big! I work at a vet clinic so I see them often but it could just be the angle the picture was taken at?

5. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    Well...they look like lice to me. They are chicken lice and won't hurt you. Chicken lice eat the feather shafts and don't harm humans. They can have that emotional feeling of creepy crawliness.

My faverolles, Nike had them really bad. We tried a DE dusting. The other girls didn't seam effected. It didn't work. WE then tried frequent DE dusting. It didn't work. We ended up using the chemical poultry dust. Once and done. They have not returned.

Good Luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  6. kidcody

Go ahead and treat them with Sevin dust found in the garden center at your local store. Treat all of the chickens. As far as your self a good hot shower is all you need.

7. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    They are for sure not lice. If they were lice you probably wouldn't be able to see them. I can't tell my the photo if they have wings or are they crawly little bugs ? You might want to keep her isolated from the rest of your birds and dust her with sevin. If you take an old panty hose and cut off the foot then fill the area by the toe full of sevin and tie it off with a thin piece of string and have someone hold your hen upside down she will spred her wings and give you a good area to get the dust next to the skin. Just squeeze the toe of the nylon and the sevin dust will spray out. If you are gentle with her you won't hurt her and it will only take a minute or less to cover the whole bird. Be sure and get it under the feathers next to her skin.

8. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    By the pictures I've seen, looks like it is lice. Make sure you keep her separated from the other chickens. Dust her all over with Sevin 5% being careful not to get it into eyes, nose or mouth. New chickens should be quarantined 30 days before introducing to flock anyway.

9. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

they do look too big to be lice? usually lice (body and all) are about the size of a ball point pen tip , those pictured seemed as big as the teeth on the zipper..
    Lice and mites can be controlled with "GardStar poultry dust" its broad spectrum , very effective and extremely safe for you and the chicken , poultry veterinarian recommended . I purchase at TSC for about $7 a can and it treats 100 birds , twice. Safe for use on younger chicks.
    If it is lice you will need to treat the infected bird , any other birds in contact.. you must repeat in 10 days to kill hatching nits (eggs) because the dust only kills pupae and adult lice.

Using the same gardstar dust to control mites you must focus on the birds and the coop / nesting boxes.
    Here is a link for awesome info on external parasites affecting poultry , written and edited by DVMs
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Be sure to repeat the treatment and isolate any single or small amounts of birds from the general flock , unless they were all together to begin with then you will have to treat all.

a good method for dusting that i have perfected is using a sock as a head hood , to protect the bird form breathing in the dust while treating the body , and also keeping them from freaking out - Chickens/peafowl + total darkness = Calmness
    then after your done with the body you can pull the hood off and dip your finger in the powder and carefully massage it into the feathers in the neck.
    Good Luck its a chore but it can be completely taken care of.

10. LittleChickenLady

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Okay, so this is what I got.

[​IMG]

I was told to dust this on the chicken that has the 'lice' and to put it in the nest boxes too.

and I got this..

[​IMG]

which they told me to spray this on the chickens that don't have the 'lice', because it will prevent them from getting them.

Is this right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by