Is this little chic really a Buff Orpington?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickadee chic, Jan 31, 2017.

1. chickadee chic

chickadee chic Just Hatched

Jan 31, 2017
    Renmark, SA
    [​IMG]Hi all i recently bought 18 fertilized Buff Orpington eggs and had them incubated by someone the breeder knows. Of those 18 eggs, 4 hatched. 3 are the classic buff colour we all know and love, but the 4th chick is almost white. She is feathering out much earlier that the others and is now having some black splashed feathers come through too? I was wondering if this could possibly be a different breed altogether?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. chickadee chic

Jan 31, 2017
    Renmark, SA
    [​IMG]

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Nope, not a Buff Orpington. Wrong shape and white wing feathers coming in.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Not an Orpington. could be a different breed, could be a mix. Have you asked the breeder?

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with donrae

7. chickadee chic

Jan 31, 2017
    Renmark, SA
    No I haven't asked her yet, I was pretty sure that she/he wasnt a BO but I just wanted to get the opinions of those more experienced than me before I asked the breeder. I did send the breeder a message about a week and a half after they had hatched to give her an update on the number of chicks that hatched and how they were doing (thinking she would care lol) and told her that one was white and that particular chic had been unwell and looked like i was going to lose her. (She was a "sleepy chic" wobbly, weak, wouldnt ever open her eyes, picked on by all the others, wouldnt eat at all and wouldn't drink unassisted) but with a lot of TLC she pulled through fine and is now fit and strong. But all i got back from the breeder was "lovely".

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  8. chickadee chic

Jan 31, 2017
    Renmark, SA
    The chicks are almost 3weeks old, and she now has all her wing feathers, each of her primary wing feathers has a black spot near the ends in the centre. The main tail feathers (not the sickles) are coming through mostly black/dark grey. The adult feathers developing around her neck look to be all or mostly black, especially on the back of her neck.

Can anyone shed some light on what breed she might actually be? Lol... I'm thinking maybe Sussex?

9. chickadee chic

Jan 31, 2017
    Renmark, SA
    (The breeder hasn't answered me back from the texts i sent her about the chick)

10. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Can you post a recent photo of her?

Hard to tell from your description. From her chick photo I was going to guess possibly Delaware.

Current photo would help.

And yes, as you've figured out, not a BO...not even close.

LofMc

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by