1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is this little chick ok?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Loretta212, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    this little chick has been trying to hatch since yesterday around noon all the other chicks (4 now) are playing football with the eggs and keep knocking his shell off. he is still breathing and rocking back and forth will he be ok? do i need to help him in any way dont want to open the bator unless i have to

[​IMG]

2. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    One of my eggs was pipping like crazy when it was rolled around by my extremely hyper little bugger. He hatched fine, and I guess in nature, under broodies, the chicks CAN cause chaos... hope your eggs hatch
    also a nosy but common question... what else is in your bator!?

3. Loretta212

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    Quote:this chick is funny looks like it is still trying to brake the shell that the other chicks already broke off lol! i have eggs i ordered a batch of barnyard mix so not sure yet and lavender bantam cochin and so far thats what 3 out of the 4 are

4. NorthTexaschick

NorthTexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Denton area
    I'd get him outta there.

5. Loretta212

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    Quote:as in take him out od the shell?

6. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    is there a hole in the membrane? Might want to break off a small bit of membrane so it can get some air... it has been stuck inside a wet shell for 21 days, after all.

7. Loretta212

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    Quote:yes there is a hole in the membrane enough for you to see a wing! now im nervous and they all started hatching on day 18! im so glad i took the turner out a day early!!!! should i help him out? i have heard so many different oppinions im not sure what to do

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    If it's not day 22 or later I would leave it alone, if you take it out of the shell chances are it hasn't absorbed all the yolk yet. Maybe you could wet down the membrane a bit so it doesn't get shrink wrapped in the shell.

9. Loretta212

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    I took him out! im glad i did his little wings were all dried out and stuck to his head he is streched out and laying down looks like he is saying ahhhh i can move!!

10. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    i had that too with my first chick. dont be suprised if he doesn't walk for 3-4 days. Set out feed and water immediately, didnt think mine would need it, she did. And yes, she absorbed the yolk. Better safe than sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by