Is this little guy a mallard?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sevenbabychicks, Jun 9, 2011.

1. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    A couple evenings ago, as I was about to go to a friend's house for dinner, I heard the unmistakeable cheeping of a distressed baby bird. I looked around and found the tiniest little duckling struggling through the grass in my yard. I live by an extremely fast-moving creek in a coniferous forest. There isn't much ground cover to nest in, and so I assumed that the little guy must be a wood duck. Also it's just so small! But its eye stripe seems more mallardy. Its egg tooth fell off later that night, so I'm guessing it was less than two days old. I searched around for about an hour to try to find its mother or siblings, but couldn't.

I haven't raised a mallard since I was a kid. Are they really this small? What else could it be? At about 4 days old, it's the length of my thumb (and I'm a small woman). It's a lot tinier than the ducklings at my local feed store. Also, is it okay by itself? I have chickens that I'm planning on putting it out with once it gets off the heat lamp.

Below is a pic I took yesterday. It's much smaller than it looks in the photo. If you need them I can get better shots when I get home. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    one eye stripe, so mallard

ETA i got it backwards at first

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Baby wood ducks also have a single eye stripe. I can't remember how little my Mallard was when she hatched. Small, but not super tiny.

4. sevenbabychicks

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    I've been looking at pics of various species, and their ducklings all look the same! To me, gadwall and teal duclings are indistinguishable from mallards. However, the eye stripe of a wood duck baby looks like it doesn't extend past the front corner of the eye.

It'll be interesting to see what it grows into! I'll post pics along the way [​IMG]

Should I be searching around for another duckling of the same age so that my little guy has a friend? I feel bad for him all alone. But then what about the possibility of disease?

5. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:It would probably be good to get him a friend. I wouldn't worry about disease.

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    If you found one there has to be more somewhere! I would go back and look to see if you can find the mom and her nest.
    Wild ducks usually nest where it's moist but not wet. If it's a wood duckling then I would be looking for hollow logs or hollow trees.

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I can't tell at that angle for sure and I'm not an expert, but I don't think it's a mallard. It could be a wood duckling or a gadwall duckling. Cute, though!

And, wild ducklings are very tiny when they hatch, about the size of an average man's thumb. They double in size about every three days until they're two to three weeks old.

8. sevenbabychicks

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Quote:No dice.

We've been having flooding issues here, and the creek which usually is pretty quick-moving is like a mini whitewater rapids this week! A duckling (or full grown duck, for that matter) wouldn't be any match for it. Perhaps it got washed away from its family?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  9. sevenbabychicks

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Quote:Yeah, I just noticed that it's way bigger than my thumb now! It'll be fun watching what it feathers into [​IMG]

Now to find it an adopted sister...

10. sevenbabychicks

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Here's an updated, better pic...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by