Is this Marek's disease or an injury?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oraclefarm, Jul 31, 2011.

1. oraclefarm

oraclefarm New Egg

May 18, 2010
    pittsfield, ma
    Red-laced Blue Wyandotte Splash 8 months old, 6-8lbs. Started with a dropped wing for about two weeks( I thought it was broken), and then she started limping on the same side foot. Now her toes have started to curl, and she can't really keep herself standing (paralysis?). Otherwise, she looks perfectly clear in the face, does not look sick at all, and is still eating/drinking but not very much. Her poop is very green and runny, clumping on her feathers. No other birds exhibiting symptoms, and I have no idea what may have caused injury.

Thought it was botulism so administered a epson salt flush followed by molasses. It did not do anything, so then I started thinking it was Mareks as she was not vaccinated. But she just doesn't look sick, and it doesn't seem to be getting worse for her. I would love to help her if I can, but there aren't any vets around here that will work on chickens.

Before the incident, she was free ranging the property all day and I use wood shavings in the coop at night. I keep the coop pretty clean, and there is great airflow and plenty of space. Any thoughts?

2. oraclefarm

oraclefarm New Egg

May 18, 2010
    pittsfield, ma
    I have photos, but can't seem to figure out how to post them on this site....

3. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    It sound like it to me. Seperate her from everyone else asap! There is a really good link about mareks somewhere on BYC...actually there are several.

4. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    The thread is by klf73. It should be in recent posts about halfway down the first page.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by