1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this Marek's disease? Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stirkrazy, Oct 28, 2013.

1. stirkrazy

stirkrazy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    North east ohio
    [​IMG]I have had chickens for over a year and a half now and in the last two months I've had 3 hens die on me. The first one had problems walking, almost like it was drunk, and eventually fell prey to a preditor. The second acted the same and I removed it from the flock. Now I have a 7 month old hen who I found in the coop yesterday acting different. She is eating and drinking but doesn't seem to function properly. She just walks around with her wings dragging and all balled up. I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my flock, if its disease or genetics or what. Any advice is appreciated. This is a pic of her

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. Hi! I think it could be viral what your chicken shows with its wing in the side......and it is highly contagious ounce you have it in your flock, the flock could all be affected and it is deadly......the herpes virus found in Marek disease stays in the soil and is resistant to desinfectant

some chicken survive but are carriers of the virus.....the only thing is to vaccinate the flock to prevent this ...usually large breeders must vaccinate to avoid any loss ...I learned this today,,,,,,!!![​IMG]
    I went to the vet today with my two months old chick she was limping and could not feed herself. I had to feed her but her neck she could not hold it,,,and I did not know what was the proper quantity of food and liquid I had to give to maintain her...every hour......after three days of trial she was in a poor critical state,,,the doctor advised me to put her to sleep......her body temperature was lower than normal...he thinks it is Marek disease....I will have the final report of the autopsy in 2 weeks......I thought she sprained her legs and could not hold herself but the doctor checked her articulations without and x-ray he felt them and said he could not feel anything wrong and she did not react when he touched her,,,,,

anyway she is better now at peace and as for you best of luck with your hen

3. stirkrazy

stirkrazy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    North east ohio
    Ok thanks for the info. What is the vacitnation they recommend and how often do they require a booster if any? And how young can they receive the vacitnation?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by