Is this Marek's? [link to video]

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ShadyHoller, Aug 29, 2014.

1. ShadyHoller

ShadyHoller Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Willamette Valley
    Hello all, thanks in advance for helping me understand what's going on here. I've posted a video to YouTube that shows two young roosters who are very wobbly on their feet. They also have a strange wide-eyed appearance. I have seen some very orange runny droppings in their coop. The bird that looks like a barred rock was the first to show symptoms, and the black/red bird started wobbling a week or two later.

I have never dealt with Marek's, but this fits some of the description. However, none of the other birds in the flock show any symptoms, and these guys haven't been getting any worse.

background: mixed-breed birds raised by a broody hen, given access to pasture and lots of garden scraps (at least prior to moving to the infirmary). We have never had disease issues before.

Thank you for any help you can give. Here's the video clip:

2. coppertop2014

coppertop2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    Bend, Oregon
    My Coop
    Separate them now. They might not but still.

3. coppertop2014

coppertop2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    Bend, Oregon
    My Coop
    I don't now much about mareks but they definitely have something wrong with them.

Sorry I couldn't be of much assistance.:hit

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Could be that this is due to a vitamin deficiency...try giving them some Vitamin B12, eggs, fish..tuna fish is very good...Vitamin B2 Rooster Booster...also Vitamin E...Sea Kelp, Rooster Booster...

I do so hope this is not Marek's...

At least try the Vitamins...may alleviate their symptoms...

Good luck!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mareks can be common between 3 and 25 weeks old, and their wobbling could be a sign. But other problems could also be the cause such as lead or chemical poisoning. As Suzie said, vitamin deficiencies can really cause problems walking, and a good poultry vitamin should be used. There are several to chose from at feed stores, but make sure it contains thiamine, riboflavin, Vitamin E, then give scrambled egg or tuna for selenium. Here are some links to read:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

6. ShadyHoller

ShadyHoller Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Willamette Valley
    Thank you friends,

one more bird from the main flock has come down with the same symptoms, and I have moved it into isolation with the first two in the video. They've got a strange jerky, twitchy thing going on, like a palsy.

Based on the BYC FAQ on Marek's, it seems like afflicted birds normally perish within a month of showing symptoms. It was more than a month ago that I first observed symptoms in the barred rock, and he hasn't gotten any worse since then.

Vitamin deficiency is an interesting possibility, but it seems odd to me, given that these birds have access to good pasture, lots of garden scraps, as well as milled feed. We've had poultry in this area for decades, following the same diet, without ever seeing anything like this.

I will try the vitamin treatment. It couldn't hurt to try.

One more question: the wide-eyed stare and the yellow-orange poo are two symptoms I'm seeing that aren't described in the Marek's literature. Are those commonly associated with any other affliction?

Thanks again.

7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    It may be prudent to de-worm them also...they may have a worm infestation...

8. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    It could possibly be Marek;s, but I really don't think it is. The symptoms you're describing seem more conducive to possible botulism. Botulism is caused by a bacterial toxin found in and around decaying animal and plant waste. So if you have, or have had, any carcasses or decayed plant matter laying around (i.e. compost pile, etc.), your roosters could have possibly eaten some of it and gotten sick. They can also get botulism from eating maggots that had once dined on the same things. Botulism is also produced by bacteria in the caecum. Either way, the remedy is the same. Usually a course of antibiotics and increased selenium intake. Of course, removing the source of the toxin is obviously the first thing to do! Hope this helps some. I know what I'm trying to get across to people, but after typing it something gets lost in the translation sometimes...lol !!! Anyway, I hope they get better, no matter what it is they have!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by