Is this Mareks? - video

Dec 2, 2020

Is this Mareks disease? She is a 4 month old Icelandic pullet. Has not laid yet. She is smaller than the rest of them, but was always a bit of a runt.

She has been having issues for about 2 weeks. It got to the current point about 10 days ago. I lost an Icelandic cockeral that was unsteady on his feet a few days before this pullet got sick. He had a swollen joint on his leg, I think he got in a tussle with a much older BCM Cockeral.

She walks with both open and closed feet. Saturday and this afternoon I found her on her back looking dead with legs up in the air and eyes closed. I picked her up and put her right side up, she returned to the condition in the videos.

She is eating and drinking and will
Pursue a grasshopper/scratch if it is presented within a 6 feet.

When carried she cannot hold her head up and will close her eyes and go mostly limp. Eyes are Normal color.

Comb is light but looks normal to me. I don’t feel any

Wings appear mostly immobile. She does not use them when picked up and will “fall” on them sometimes when walking.

Vent looks normal

No, crust, so no ear infection.

What's their diet like?

Her ears seemed extra small compared to the RIR and Swedish Flower I compared to. But she is a much smaller bird. I am not an experienced chicken keeper. Less than one year.

I feed currently:

Naturesmart non gmo/organic grower. (Birds are now over 16 weeks, this feed will cease when the last 20lbs runs out)

Organic scratch from a farm in central Montana. Wheat and black sunflower seeds primarily.

TSC type “party mix” of mealworms, corn, sunflower seeds.

Because of their age, I started mixing in a little layer mash from the same Montana organic grain farm as of Saturday. They should start laying soon and I don’t want to change feed cold turkey.

They find bugs and I catch and toss them (8 birds) 10-20 grasshoppers a day. They also eat some grass and other forage. I have a problem black bear currently, so no free range, they have access to a 1600 sq ft run most of the day.

Her ears seemed extra small compared to the RIR and Swedish Flower I compared to. But she is a much smaller bird. I am not an experienced chicken keeper. Less than one year.

I feed currently:

Naturesmart non gmo/organic grower. (Birds are now over 16 weeks, this feed will cease when the last 20lbs runs out)

Organic scratch from a farm in central Montana. Wheat and black sunflower seeds primarily.

TSC type “party mix” of mealworms, corn, sunflower seeds.

Because of their age, I started mixing in a little layer mash from the same Montana organic grain farm as of Saturday. They should start laying soon and I don’t want to change feed cold turkey.

They find bugs and I catch and toss them (8 birds) 10-20 grasshoppers a day. They also eat some grass and other forage. I have a problem black bear currently, so no free range, they have access to a 1600 sq ft run most of the day.
I never heard that brand of feed.

I was wondering if this maybe a Vitamin Deficiency based on feed, but I have no experience with that feed.

I'm thinking it may actually be Marek's Disease though.

Oh, Nutrena. I misread the post alittle.

I don't know the other one though.
The Nutrena Chick feed is only E 20IU, which a very low dose of Vitamin E.

I'm still thinking Marek's is a possibility, though.

Hopefully someone more experienced will pop in, & help you.

I would worry about Mareks disease with her gait, and neck weakness, wings, and losing the other one.. But dehydration, vitamin deficiency, and injury should be ruled out. There are 2 main ways to get a diagnosis for Mareks—through a blood test by a lab, such as RAL or University of Georgia, or a necropsy by your state vet pathologist if she dies. Here is a link for RAL where they will send you materials to collect blood from a trimmed toenail:
https://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf

This is a link to call your state vet and ask how to get a necropsy:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom