Is this Marek's?

Dandelions

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
Alexander City, AL
I purchased a "family" (rooster, hen, one pulley, and a chick) of Mille Fleur D'Uccles from an auction. I couldn't resist, they were beautiful, healthy looking birds. I've had them about 2 weeks now.

My husband had let them out to free range a bit on Saturday and was putting them back up in their quarantine pen. He noticed when he put them up that the hen seemed to be favoring one side, like she wasn't walking well. She continued to do so over a few days. We thought she might have a slight sprain or something. Yesterday he went out to tend the chickens and found her laying on her side and she could not stand. Every time we stand her up, she just falls over and rolls on her back. It isn't for lack of trying. It's just as if she has no balance at all, almost like she's top heavy. Her legs move when we move them, and she doesn't protest nor does it seem to cause her any pain. However they seem stiff. When we hold her, her legs stick straight out from her body and she kind of "bicycles" slowly. When we sit her down, and try to get her to fold her feet under her, she doesn't seem to be able to. So we have her in a box with straw kind of propped up on her side. She doesn't seem to have any interest in food or water. Though she happily accepts water from a syringe and dried meal worms if we put them in her mouth. We are unsure what to do for her! So we gave her electrolytes in her water that's available and also give her some in a syringe occasionally. She has pooped, but it seems to be normal yet simewgat watery. I gave her a dose of antibiotics last night before I did much research, but I'm beginning to think its Marek's. does that sound right? What should we do for her?

Thanks!!

I don't know about mareks but you might take a look at this to rule it out if needed:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/218/vitamin-e-deficiency

Here is a site that mentions vit e and selenium dosing for poultry for another problem (wry neck/crookneck):

browneggblueegg.com , click on articles, then select from the left column "crookneck" to read the article.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html
here is another site that may help if needed

Last edited:
Thank you! I read all the info and I'm still unsure if its Marek's or vit E deficiency.... Ugh, so hard to tell. And we have no avian vets here. :(

I continued the antibiotics and the electrolyte/vitamins. She seems more perky this morning, but still not interested in food or water.

Thank you! I read all the info and I'm still unsure if its Marek's or vit E deficiency.... Ugh, so hard to tell. And we have no avian vets here.
sad.png

I continued the antibiotics and the electrolyte/vitamins. She seems more perky this morning, but still not interested in food or water.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...nd-crazy-chick-disease-photos-added-post-5/10
here are how some others administered vitamin e

Your vitamins may not have vit e included...may want to check on that.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's cocci, wouldn't the protozoans inhibit the ability for chickens to absorb nutrients? So shouldn't the cocci be treated first?

It sounds like cocci to me. Lethargic, loss of appetite, not drinking, watery poop [sign of cocci does not have to bloody poop]. Antibiotics won't work for cocci, you'll have to get Corid or Sulmet. I prefer Sulmet as it treats 9 strains of cocci where Sulmet is only two.

Back
Top Bottom