is this mites or a molt?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sydney13, Jul 25, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    about 1 month ago my silkie started to lose some of her chest feathers and i thought it was a molt. now she has a big bald patch on her chest and im getting a little worried. could this be a molt or does it sound like a parasite? i know that when they molt they loose the wing feathers and stop laying but she recently started laying her first eggs and i dont think she has lost any wing feathers.
    this was pic a few weeks ago but now she is even more bald
    [​IMG]
    i gave her a bath one day and noticed underneath her feathers look like this
    [​IMG]
    she had scaly leg mite a few months ago and for about a month i was putting vetrx on her feet each night. some of the scales are still risen up and i was wondering if she could still have the scaly leg mites or if those scales will always stay up?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Has she been broody at some point? If she was, then she would've plucked them herself. Feathers take about 6 weeks to grow back.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Looks like mites to me.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    That looks like a broody patch to me. I see no evidence of lice. Mites would not be readily visible without closely checking the bird's body completely after dark. She has new feathers emerging, so I wouldn't worry about it. Mite damage is usually more widespread, not just reserved to one area. That's why I suspect she has pulled her own feathers out in an attempt to brood. Silkies are well known for being broody.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    CMV. Is their skin dark in color too, looking peppered as well? My first thought was broody as well, but after a closer look with my magnifying glass...it could be dirt...but the OP said she had given the silkie a bath. Maybe mite poop or eggs?

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:I think that would depend on whether or not the OP actually used shampoo or just rinsed/dipped them in water.

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:Silkies have black skin.

It looks like a broody patch to me too. Those are new feathers growing in that picture.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    OK thanks sgtmom, I didnt know, I've never even seen a silkie in real life lol. But it does look peppered, maybe OP didnt rinse, oh well.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  9. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    those little dots in the feathers are just the dirt from a dust bath she took right before the bath. like you said i didn't rinse well or use shampoo so the bath only seemed to make the dirt burry into the feathers and it stayed like that for a while. she hasn't been broody yet but she does try to cover her eggs with hay so maybe she also tries to cover them with feathers, although i haven't noticed feathers in her nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by