Is this Mites?

kjorgey

Songster
Mar 24, 2020
Pennsylvania/North of Philadelphia
Is this evidence of mites? I have a flock of 7 easter eggers, all born the same day. A few started molting a few weeks ago. This hen has lost some tail feathers. I see the new pin feathers coming in. I'm not sure this area on her back is related to mites or just her rolling around the dirt due to molting. I don't see evidence of mites on the other hens. It has been cold, wet and several feet of snow, so the girls haven't gotten out much. Appetites seem ok. Combs are not as vibrant as usual, probably due to cold. Thoughts?

Attachments

• blondie.jpg
    blondie.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 52
  • blondie2.jpg
    blondie2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
I can't get the picture to zoom in very much. It looks like poultry lice eggs if they are stuck to the base of her feathers. Part her feathers and look at her skin. do you see a lot of tiny red marks or a scabby appearance? That would be mites.

I can't get the picture to zoom in very much. It looks like poultry lice eggs if they are stuck to the base of her feathers. Part her feathers and look at her skin. do you see a lot of tiny red marks or a scabby appearance? That would be mites.
I just came in from doing a head to toe assessment of all my hens. I took some peroxide and cleaned this area of concern. Under the dirt was intact skin. No scabs. No sign of blood or irritation. No clusters of lice eggs from what I could see. I do notice several new pin feathers in the area. All their vents look good and no sign of creepy crawlies. I'm thinking this hen has just been rolling in her dust bath a lot due to the molting and dirt got caked in this area. They have needed to stay in their run area due to all the snow on the ground. Thank you for the feedback. I'm a new hen mother as you can tell. Normally their coop and run are immaculate. The best I can do lately is scoop the top layer of soiled shavings and top it off in the coop. Need a break in the weather to do some spring cleaning.

I just came in from doing a head to toe assessment of all my hens. I took some peroxide and cleaned this area of concern. Under the dirt was intact skin. No scabs. No sign of blood or irritation. No clusters of lice eggs from what I could see. I do notice several new pin feathers in the area. All their vents look good and no sign of creepy crawlies. I'm thinking this hen has just been rolling in her dust bath a lot due to the molting and dirt got caked in this area. They have needed to stay in their run area due to all the snow on the ground. Thank you for the feedback. I'm a new hen mother as you can tell. Normally their coop and run are immaculate. The best I can do lately is scoop the top layer of soiled shavings and top it off in the coop. Need a break in the weather to do some spring cleaning.
Great news! Just and easily cleaned chicken fluffy butt! LOL

Back
Top Bottom