Is This Mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Missy3b, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Missy3b

Missy3b Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Central Missouri
    We just bought a new pair of chickens at a swap meet. Obviously we did not look at their feet. Is this mites? I have read to treat it with vaseline and warm water. Is that right or am I totally off base? Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Looks like leg mites to me. I have heard to put vaseline on them.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Looks like it.

Imp

4. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    the vaseline works the best and i would also get some " pour on' ivermectin and treat them with about 1/2 a cc to the back of their necks right on the skin.
    this will get rid of any other critters on their bodies
    enjoy your new friends [​IMG]

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    It's hard to tell with the feather footed breeds. I have some myself, and I asked our chicken vet about it because the feet of our feather footed girls have raised scales as compared to our non feathered footed breeds. He told me this was normal for the breed.

If you don't want to take your chicken to the vet (understandable), you might try the vaseline treatment. No harm in that other than the trouble it takes to put on the vaseline. If they don't have mites, you won't see any difference so then you'll know this is normal.

6. Missy3b

Missy3b Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Central Missouri
    I was told that once the mites are gone, the legs will never look normal. Is this true? Its possible that he doesn't even have the mights anymore, this is just what's left after having them. We went ahead and gave him a warm soapy bath and then covered his legs in vaseline. Will do this for a week to see what happens. While I am obviously concerned about the mites, I also want to know if his legs will ever look better as he was supposed to be a 4-H project.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    even if it isn't leg mites it would still be a good idea to treat fro parasites. not knowing if they have them or not and also the ivermectin pour-on will treat for internal parasites, all the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by