1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this molting or is something wrong with my girls?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by disneygirlaudra, Jun 11, 2016.

1. disneygirlaudra

disneygirlaudra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2016
    Oklahoma
    My older girls are 16 months old and two out of six of them have dry brittle looking feathers and one is even missing feathers on her belly. The barred rock looks like it has patches of healthier brighter feathers so I wondered if they were just molting orbiting f something was wrong with them. They are laying fine and looking healthy otherwise. Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    The one with the issing tummy feathers what does she act like.Does she scream at you when you go for her eggs,does she puff up and try looking tugh ofte?

3. disneygirlaudra

Mar 5, 2016
    Oklahoma
    No, not at all. I've had broody hens before that did that though. This one doesn't stay on the nest all day either.

4. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Broody hens are suppose to pluck feathers from their breasts,to their stomachs.those feathers just look like their getting old and are just rottening away,getting pulled etc.Doesn't look like molting at all to me (My hens do this often,one is naked,it's just old feathers.

5. disneygirlaudra

Mar 5, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Ok, thank you. I'm still kind of new to this. :D

6. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Yeah my first experience with this odd feather thing worried me but then a whole 6 months later ahes still triving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by