1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this molting or pecking order harrassment??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sarahooten, Oct 12, 2016.

1. sarahooten

sarahooten New Egg

May 2, 2015
    [​IMG]
    So my barred rocks are 18 months old. I have 2, and three rhody reds same age. Also 2 eight month old sexlinks. The rocks seem to be in the middle of the pecking order. I get 5-6 eggs a day, and they all seem to get along. What could be causing their wings to look like this?

2. Venevee

Venevee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2016
    If they seem to be getting along then she could just be molting. If she was being bullied to the point where her wings were looking like that, then you should have been noticing some sort of harassment, which is why I think she is simply molting.
    But I do have a few questions to ask...
    Have you noticed her messing with her wings or excessively pulling out feathers?
    Is she broody at all or has been recently? If so, are there missing feathers under her belly?
    How long have her wings looked like that?
    Do you have roosters?

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    x2

I also vote molting. :)

Have you checked your flock for lice and mites lately?

MrsB

4. sarahooten

sarahooten New Egg

May 2, 2015
    No roosters!! And we watch them very carefully. Her behavior is quite normal. No messing around with her wings and all of our chickens are lice free. The others are all very healthy looking. She has looked like this for the last 3-4 weeks. They live in our converted shed with a big caged in coop, and free range almost every afternoon. Life is good for a chicken here lol [​IMG]

5. Venevee

Venevee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2016
    I believe that your hen is healthy and simply molting. Feathers typically take about 6 weeks to grow back, but it depends on the feather type (breast feathers, wing feathers, etc.) I would wait it out and check her for signs of feathers coming back after about 6-7 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by