Is this molting, or "roo damage?" (pic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wynette, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    This is my Black X-link, Halle (Berry). She's my roo, Maurice's, favorite...she's losing feathers on her back (my other 5 are not), but I can't tell if she's just molting (I've not seen molting before, though I Googled to find pics and found only one from a distance...I couldn't see it well). Could this be from my roo mounting her more than the others? And, if so, any suggestions, other than teaching her that "no" means "No!"?

[​IMG]

2. joebwe25

joebwe25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Is that the saddle????
    Then it's probably "roo damage".
    That's just what I think.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

That is from the roo. You can buy her a chicken saddle which will prevent his spurs from doing that to her, or keep him seperate from the girls except for "visits". How many hens do you have per roo?

4. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Shoot, was hoping it wasn't from Maurice. I don't have a way to separate them...yet. His spurs aren't that big yet, and they're not sharp. He's only 5 1/2 months old (as is she). I assumed, if it was from him, that it was from his toenails. Guess I need to look into a saddle.

Oh, I have 6 pullets and Maurice.

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    There must be something mighty appealing about sex-link pullets/hens (mine is black also). My rooster(s) are constantly hitting her up, she gets so mad at them she attacks them when the get off of her. lol I have other pullets/hens, but she seems to be everyone's favorite chick. [​IMG]

6. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Billy, my former roo who was killed in the dog attack, barebacked my hens Heidi and Domino just like your pic.

They are Australorp and Silver Laced Wyandotte, respectively, so they were much smaller in comparison to Billy, who was a, as we called him, "VERY Buff Orpington". LOL

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Clip & file his toe nails to lessen the damage from scratches

8. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'll clip & file his nails tonight - thanks for the advice.
    I've also ordered two chicken saddles (one for Halle to wear, one to throw on the wash if the worn one gets dirty). Never, ever, ever thought I'd have a chicken saddle! I'll post pics when it arrives & I get it on her. Thanks again for all your advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by