Is this molting or should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by viragovirgo, May 18, 2010.

1. viragovirgo

viragovirgo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2009
    SW Idaho
    One of my hens (pullet actually, I think she's about 10 months old) has stopped laying and is seeming depressed. She sits on the roost and doesn't come out often, and when she does, she walks slowly and is a little puffed up. Her comb still looks healthy and bright red. I thought she might be eggbound but do not feel anything when I feel the abdomen. Did give her a warm bath and "lubed" her vent, nothing. I did notice that she has lost her beard (she's an americauna) and her neck is bare where it was. Is depression behavior part of a molt? She had problem with rubber eggs before and I amped up the oyster shell, she began laying normally. Now she's stopped and has this behavior. Also, we have recently introduced new hens and a couple of roosters (in the last month or so). All are healthy, but she has been getting mounted and this was new experience for her. Any thoughts on what this could be and should I be concerned about some other illness? Thank you!

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine were crabby when they were molting, but they still came out of the coop. I'd be concerned that something else is going on. Are the others picking at her beard?

3. viragovirgo

viragovirgo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2009
    SW Idaho
    When we initially put the new ones in, they did pick on all of the hens we already had. She adjusted quicker than the others and the new ones seem to have accepted her much quicker than the others. (the new ones were bullies LOL) I have not seen them picking on her lately but I know they did initially. I just don't know what to make of her behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by