Is this molting?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redwa, Sep 2, 2007.

1. redwa

redwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2007
    Our 15 month old Australorp has lost the feathers on her head. Otherwise very healthy and no signs of mites. is this the beginning of her molt? Will she lose all of her feathers? I have not been through this before - not sure what to expect. From what I have learned, different breeds molt differently. Yes?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If she is only losing feathers on her head, it might be pecking, when they molt they lose feathers all over their body.

3. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    most all chickens are moulting or starting to moult this time of year..

4. redwa

Aug 9, 2007
    Could it be mites or external parasites? What is the cure?

5. Pine Grove

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    does she have new feathers comming or has she been pecked?

6. redwa

Aug 9, 2007
    My daughter and I just inspected her further. Looks like a few of her feathers have a mini blob of what my daughter says looks like ear wax attached to the end of the new feather. Suspicious. Also, i think her egg had a blood spot (the white) in it this morning - indication of parasites??. How to proceed?

7. Pine Grove

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    It's normal shes just moulting, and the blood spot is not caused from worms, i'ts caused from a rupture in a blood vessel within the reproductive track. Nothing to worry about, your hen is normal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by