Is this more practical.....haha I Luv byc

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by percyj, Aug 7, 2010.

1. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    Or would I be better off trying something else???? Thx !!!

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, it's hard to see the details on that, but $6 for a 5-pound bag is really expensive--that's the equivalent of $60 for a 50-lb bag (I pay about $12-13 for a 50-lb bag of game bird starter).

Other than that, I think you are on the right track. I feed chick starter (either Purina or Nutrena, whatever they have available and is cheaper) mixed 50/50 with Purina game bird starter. The game bird starter drives me crazy because the packaging is EXACTLY the same as the game bird layer, and they look alike--the only difference is a very small bit of printing on a nondescript white label attached to the bottom of the bag. Occasionally, the printing actually gets sewn into the seam at the bottom, and I can't read it. The problem with that is I worry that the feed clerks might confuse them, PLUS, I get them mixed up at home easily if I'm not careful. But the point for you is that when you get your bag of game bird, make sure it is really starter (which will run about 28-30% protein, another differentiator from layer which runs closer to 20-25%) if it isn't clearly marked.

Another option is to buy niacin gel caps at the pharmacy and break one open into their water. Get the 250 mg and add one cap to 1 gallon of water. This is kind of a pain, but cheap.

Good luck!

4. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    I can't find a 5 lb bag!!!!! I'm only getting 3 so I don't need a 50 lb bag. I like the niacin but won't they waste alot?

5. percyj

Jun 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by