1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this my Cream Legbar?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Finelyfound, May 11, 2016.

1. Finelyfound

Finelyfound Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just got my chicks today and am trying to identify them as best I can. I ordered a wide variety of breeds. I ordered just one Cream Legbar, any chance this is it? She's the most friendly of the bunch so far and even though there are some other chicks that are very similar I am thinking she may be the cream Legbar.
    Any thoughts?
    Thank you
    Jocelyn

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

Could you post a picture?

3. Finelyfound

Sorry the original post wouldn't let me include a photo so I had to edit the post to put the photos :(

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Does it have a single comb? And can you post photos of the other chicks that are similar, and what the breeds you ordered where?

5. Finelyfound

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There two are very similar to the first one I posted. They came from Meyers.
    I got a number of breeds, I list a couple
    Welsummer
    Golden/Blue/Silver Laced Wyandotte
    Light Brown Leghorn
    Cream Legbar
    Easter Egger
    Silver Gray Dorking
    Speckled Sussex
    Buckeye
    I'm pretty certain they aren't any of the blues, blacks, buffs or Cochins so I didn't list them
    Thank you!

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You can rule out Buckeye (they look more like Rhode Island Reds as chicks), and Wyandotte. Dorkings have 5 toes, and the Easter Egger should have a pea comb. That just leaves Welsummer, Brown Leghorn, Legbar, and Speckled Sussex. The bad news is that those breeds are all identical to one another as chicks. They even feather in similarly. The Cream Legbar should be crested, but you might be able to really notice that feature until about 6 weeks or so. Speckled Sussex have white skin, but that might not be noticeable for another week or two. Welsummers and Brown Leghorns are impossible to tell apart until after about 10 weeks or so, when the Leghorn's earlobes really begin to turn white.
    You are in a wait and see situation...sorry.

7. Finelyfound

Thank you that was very helpful!

8. Finelyfound

So, the one in the orginal post is the Dorking, it has 5 toes.
    Thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by