Is this my long awaited ROOSTER?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ellie, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I have tried three times to get a rooster. This is the only chick that hatched out of this batch. It is 2 days old.

What do you think?

Edited to say this is a Barred Rock....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    First of all, What's wrong with you? Everyone can hatch a rooster...lol [​IMG]

Secondly, are we looking at a pure bred chicken or a mix. If it is a Black Sex-link then I say yes. If it's mother is the GLW that hatched it out, I haven't the foggiest.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's a pure BR from my Dutch with my Holly. I mailed eggs to Ellie, but for some reason, the P.O. cant seem to get eggs to her from me without managing to scramble them.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  4. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Well Cyn your the Barred Rock expert. I say yes, but your opinion weighs more with me on Barred Rocks than mine does. I never raised them, just remember stuff I've read.

5. speckledhen

Even the "experts" have their confusing ones! My sexing method may just become "wait and see", LOL. In the first pic, the headspot says cockerel, but the second one looks almost like a different chick with a more defined spot. The down is very dark, like a pullet, but the legs have almost no dark on the fronts, more like a cockerel. I dont know for sure, but when the wings come in, I'll reassess. I hope this is your Hawkeye grandson, Ellie.

6. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Can you get a clearer picture of the head?

7. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Thanks, Cyn for clarifying. I was so in a hurry to find out about the sex I did not put the breed, lol.

I have to go out of town this morning and will be back this afternoon. Then I will get another pic of the head. The little bugger sure does move fast.

Chickendaddy, you are so right on... most want hens, me? I really want a rooster!!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  8. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Here is a shot of the chick's head.

[​IMG]

9. speckledhen

Could be your rooster, Ellie. Than again, could be a Lexie and be playing with us. My pullets usually have smaller headspots than yours.

10. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Ahh, so the headspot is looking more roo-ish! Oh, I do hope so, Cyn.

I appreciate people giving their best guesses. After all, this chick is only days old. You guys are great!

Anyone else want to give their best guess here?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by