Is this Narrangansett a male?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by fiberdrunk, Oct 22, 2011.

1. fiberdrunk

fiberdrunk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    I have a pair of Narragansetts that are about 6 1/2 months old now. One has always been more dominant than the other, but I figured they were both females. A couple days ago, this turkey started fanning its feathers like a peacock. Do only males do this? I haven't heard any gobbling per se, just some worrisome sort of warbling at this point when they're disturbed (and I don't know if both turkeys are doing this, or just one). I blogged more about my turkeys here .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. turkaholic

turkaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    It's a hen. At 6 1/2 months the rump feathers would not be edged in white if it were male, and there would be a big difference in size between a hen and jake. Hens will very often "strut" to assert their dominance over others. If either of your birds were male, you would have heard some gobbling by now. You need to track down a male! [​IMG]

3. fiberdrunk

Mar 6, 2011
    Thank you! I didn't know that about the white feathers. That's good to know! I wouldn't mind having a tom, quite frankly. I love it when they display their feathers!

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Yep, definitely a hen. Aside from the feathering her pale head and short snood are also indicative. To clarify on the feathering it's the back feathers that would be black to the tips on a tom, not the tail feathers.

For comparison sake, this is a Narr Tom:

[​IMG]

5. fiberdrunk

Mar 6, 2011
    Thank you thank you! Yes, I see on the photo now. It's funny, I have 2 turkey books and neither one of them give any sexing info whatsoever (the Mercia and Klein books). Beautiful tom, by the way!!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  6. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:that is one of the coolest pictures i have ever seen.. christmas card material.[​IMG]

7. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    BOTH BEAUTIFUL TURKEYS!!!
    want some!!!

8. fiberdrunk

Mar 6, 2011
    Well, it looks like you were 100% correct. My turkey is a female! Both of my Narragansetts began laying their first eggs today! LOL
    Theirs is the white eggs with brown speckles. The green egg is an Ameraucana egg for size comparison.

[​IMG]

9. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    'grats. My Narr hens often have both a spring and fall laying season as well -- occasionally a mid-summer one, too. If you're planning on hatching be sure to wait a while, their eggs will get much larger. Those are just pullet eggs. [​IMG]

10. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    Quote:that, and this person needs a tom turkey to go with the hens for fertile eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by