Is this niacin deficiency or something else?

Kiwiluff

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2020
Sorry for the ramble! 😰

First video one of my ducklings was attacked by my rooster, doesn't seem to be in TOO bad of shape just a puncture on the right side and I noticed some limping afterward. I assumed the limping was related to the attack but then noticed the left foot was sort of turned inward, my Google rabbit hole led me to niacin deficiency with symptoms such as frequently laying at the food and water bowl, not walking a lot, and possibly one foot turned in like that

When i checked over the other ducklings more closely I think I see some of that in them, the second video has a different bird tripping over its feet 😰 and they have always, since I purchased them, laid down at the water bowl for long periods of time so I thought this was normal...

The duck starter I bought claims to be nutritionally complete with no need for supplements and lists a ton of vitamins in the ingredients, so I'm not entirely sure if I have a problem or if I'm seeing something that isn't there because of the injured bird. I think they're about 4-5 weeks old

Attachments

• received_278038187737514.jpeg
    received_278038187737514.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 16
  • received_979798239340207.jpeg
    received_979798239340207.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 1
Duck starter should be ok for you little ones. However, pekins do need greater than average niacin, and so you could add 1 tablespoon niacin per cup of starter crumbles to be sure your ducklings are getting enough

I think the poor wee mite that was attacked by the rooster is limping because of the puncture wound to the hip muscles. That wound needs keeping clean. I would wash it out initially with hydrogen peroxide solution -- you could use a plastic syringe just to be sure the solution has gone into the wound. The solution will fizz in contact with blood and any debris in the wound and flush that out. You then need to keep it clean and dry -- no bath time for that little one for a few days.

I do not like using antibiotics unless there is infection. Some duck keepers would also spray with Vetericyn plus wound spray from your feedstore or Amazon on line

Sounds like besides the injury you are seeing a niacin deficiency. I'd get them on Liquid B complex TSC carries a good one. Put 1 ml per ducklings over a tasty treat like mealworms so they gobble the whole thing up. You can also add Nutritional yeast to their feed at 1 tab per cup of feed but the liquid B complex is what you need for now to get them stable. You can't always depend on the feed to give them what they need especially with Pekin since they grow so fast.

Back
Top Bottom