Is this normal? And should I discourage it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Young MacDonald, May 10, 2009.

1. Young MacDonald

Young MacDonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm a beginner with chickens. I bought some "pullets" from some local people (more on my doubts as to the sex of some later) and six small chicks from TSC.

Two of the pullets are about 11 weeks old - they are Ameracuanas and I'm sure they are female. Six are Barred Rocks that the woman sold me as 6 week old pullets about a week ago (I think some might be a little older). I'm starting to think 3 or 4 are cockerels and she took advantage of my ignorance, but I digress.

Back to the topic at hand, the Barred Rocks are snuggling in the nesting boxes. Is it normal for birds to hang out in the nest boxes? Should I discourage this behavior because it will cause trouble when the other birds start laying?

Thanks for your answers and happy Mother's Day.[​IMG]

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Are they in the boxes during the day? Or just sleeping in them at night?

I wouldn't bother them if they're in there during the day, as long as they weren't pooping in there. But if they're sleeping in there at night, they probably are pooping there too. They're old enough to be up on a roost at night. I'd pull them out after dark and set their feet on the roosts. It might take a while before they go there on their own. Perhaps you should barricade the nest boxes until they get used to roosting on their own.

[​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] My birds hang out wherever the darned well feel like hanging out and that includes the nesting boxes that they don't use!!! All 21 of my birds lay in the same next they made UNDER the boxes. [​IMG]

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Give them the boot now or they will stay in there when you need the boxes, best to block the boxes off till its time for them to use them. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. Nest boxes are for laying eggs. Roosts are for sleeping.

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I agree. Nest boxes are for laying eggs. Roosts are for sleeping.

Not only that, I like kicking chickens. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Marlin, you are so very twisted! [​IMG]

I love it! [​IMG]

8. Young MacDonald

Young MacDonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks, all. I will keep trying to get them to use the roosts. And, I'll block them off from the nest boxes. Maybe I'll kick them off... for you, Marlin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by