1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this normal behavior or bad behavior?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LightenUp, Apr 30, 2009.

1. LightenUp

LightenUp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Laketown, Utah
    I have a total of six chicks. I have one white legged hen who is a week older than the other five. The rest are 16 days old.
    I have a red cornish, who is 16 days old, that keeps attacking the white legged. The red cornish flies feet first into the white legged. The white legged then puffs up her chest and stretches her neck and backs the red cornish up. It's been going on for several days now and seems to be getting more aggressive than when it first started - now the white legged seems to bite/peck the red cornish's back.
    Is this standard pecking order or is this a bad behavior on the part of the red cornish? She doesn't go after anyone else, just the white legged.
    Thanks for the help!
    Robin

2. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Sounds like normal pecking-order establishment. I swear in my brooder you would have thought it was WWE Smackdown night. [​IMG] Are they actually injuring each other or just pushing each other around? If no one is getting hurt, I say let 'em work it out! [​IMG]

3. Kinda early, but the larger breed can and will establish themselves.

I have a 3 week old serama roo who I can only put in with bigger chicks than himself becuase he is such a bully.

He is starting to crow and really it is almost adorable to hear the little turd try so hard.

4. kmakani

kmakani Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    I also, have a little bully silkie bantam mix that is back pecking my other 5 chickens male and female that are not bantam. I thought this may have been a prelude to sex, but he's doing it to everyone. The other 5 try to stay away from him as much as possible. He gets no respect and my husband is ready to take him on a drive.....[​IMG]

5. LightenUp

LightenUp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Laketown, Utah
    Thanks for all the responses!
    Seems like normal behavior!
    I'll keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't get too aggressive! [​IMG]
    Robin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by