Is this normal Brahma feathering?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NellaBean, Nov 14, 2009.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

See how "frizzled" the leg and tail feathers look? Not frizzled as in the actual frizzles....it just doesn't look the way I expect. Is this normal baby feather for this breed, just poor feathering, or?

[edited to add: this chick is about 8 weeks old...not sure if boy or girl]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    how young is she? mine looked like that for a little while before fluffing out.

3. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    She/he is about 8 weeks (I think). There are two buff brahmas too and they definitely do not look like this....

This chick also has feathered out really slowly......and so the "bald" area got picked and she really had a big scabby patch on her back today. The brooder growout shed was way overcrowded, so all the girls plus the three brahmas got moved out to the small pen in the back, which should help the picking issues. The cockerels have attitude....so, although not likely, it is possible this could be due to picking?

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Nella where did you get her from? I ask this because some Brahmas grow slow I have 6 Light Brahmas that are hatchery stock ( Cackle Hatchery ) that are growing very slow. There about 7 months old and not half grown yet there about 5 lbs. and just starting to get a good tail on the rooster.. My Exhibition RIR's that I hatched out grew them by far (same age). As for yours I would say it might be a rooster and to give it some time to grow up and feather out nice..

Chris

5. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    funny, i got mine from Cackle too! hatched on 5/27/09. my girls look all fluffy and full. i'll have to get a new pic of them tomorrow.

these are from a few months ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    pardon my bantam buff in the front of the 2nd pic.

6. biomistake

biomistake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Russellville
    Funny mine also came from Cackle [​IMG] ... anyway here is my photobucket album link of my Light Brahmas covering their growing progress. http://s826.photobucket.com/albums/zz183/biomistake/Chickens/

The thing about Brahmas is they can take a long time to mature versus the other breeds. I purchased mine June 24th 2009. You might want to just give those feathers time to finish growing in/out [​IMG]

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Here is a pic of mine that I got from Cackle back in April.. The pictures where taken last month and you can see that the tail is still not all the way grown in yet.....
    Pullet:
    [​IMG]

Cockerel:
    [​IMG]

Chris

8. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    She (and the two buffs) were hatched from eggs I got off ebay. Horrible hatch, poor quality eggs/chicks/etc. I think one even has the wrong comb. I am pretty sure one of the buffs is a cockerel, hoping the other is a pullet. I would not be heart broken if this light brahma was a cockerel as I currently have my Black Jersey Giant and wouldn't mind a big light colored roo to go with him.

The feathering just looks weird to me, but I've never had brahmas before. But he/she does appear to be feathering out normal for the breed, judging by the pix posted above. I do figure it will be a cockerel since he has feathered in soooo. slooooowly.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by