1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this normal chick behavior?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lostdog, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Lostdog

Lostdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    On wed. I got my first ever chicks.They were a week old and I was kinda surprised that chicks are not as sweet and innocent as they look.They can be kinda mean to each other.I wasn't expecting that.Noone is being especially bullied they are just like lil bratty kids. [​IMG]
    Ok so I'm getting used to their brattiness and still think they are super adorable<<brats!!>>.
    So today my other chicks arrived in the mail(all banties) and even cuter then I could have imagined.I am in love.So, these are supposed to be sweeter than standards(so I am thinking).These are lovable lil silkies and sweetie-pie cochins(or so I've read).
    But, wow, these lil boogers are brats too_One lil guy(silkie) walked up to sweet lil
    cochin and grabs his toe and pulls and poor lil cochins falls right on his bottom.Then bully silkie goes over to another cochin and grabs his toe and pulls.I guess maybe after seeing his lil buddy fall on his fuzzy butt.He decided to fight back and shook his foot instead all while its still in silkies beak.Finally bully let go after he realized he wasn't going to drop this one.It was all kinda cute and it looked more like "play" fun than fighting(I hope).
    Is this crazy behavior normal?? [​IMG]

Funny thing is I really think the silkie found this funny. Not really acting bully-like but like it was funny.[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's normal. Just keep an eye out for anyone getting more than their fair share of the bullying. Wait until they start the chest bumping stage. Now that's funny. [​IMG]

3. HeadHen

HeadHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Houston, TX
    My 2 week olds have just started the pecking order behaviour. They start fluffing up flapping at each other and circling each other while the others gather around and watch. Looks like they are doing the tango.

4. Lostdog

Lostdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Can't wait for the fun to begin.I was a little worried.

5. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    I was wondering if there was a thread like this. I just got my first order of chicks a few days ago (6 black sex links). I have noticed mine doing the foot biting thing. It is rather funny to watch them but it seems mean.

What's the chest bumbing stage? It sounds very entertaining.

6. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    I'm so glad you brought this up.... I haven't noticed any "bullying" behavior in my chicks, but my two 3 week old ducklings... that's another story!

Every afternoon I take them out for a swim in their pool. Today is the first time one of the two has begun pulling the others leg out from under her. Very persistently... but once she pulls the other one off her little webbed feet, she lets go and heads to the other end of the pool. This goes on and on. There doesn't seem to be any real harm being done and it's only while they're in the pool. Still, keeping an eye on them in case things escalate. It's actually funny to watch!

7. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

You can almost guess which one is the roo in banty cochins! My Roger was a total brat, sparing and grabbing other "roos" by the toe fuzzy hauling them acrossed the brood tote!
    Now Roger is learning to crow, is a total hoot. The girls which are bantam cochins are quick, smart and will win your heart.
    I have never had banties before and glad I got talked into them!

Remember to watch for feather picking, change your light bulb color if you note any. Also, its called "Pecking order". Someone begins to be boss, then another is shoved out only to be top chick tomorrow. Ever changing order.
    [​IMG]

8. cjstanman

cjstanman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    I'm glad this thread got started - I have six BRs that are 2 weeks old. They're doing a lot of flapping and hopping around, and at first I thought they were just really bad at flying, ha ha! There does seem to be some bossing around and all, but everyone's in one piece, no blood or feathers flying. [​IMG]

I'm keeping an eye on them because one is physically the biggest, and there seems to be a meek, sweet little one who's the smallest. I'd hate to see the little one get all beat up.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:It's where two chicks run up to each other, give each other the evil eye, and then slam their chests together (think two drunk men belly slamming). I'm not sure how they determine the winner, since it seems to knock both of them off balance a bit. Mine did it until they were about six weeks old and had their pecking order figured out.
    Occasionally now two of my hens will run up to each other, up go the neck feathers while they do the evil eye thing, and then they walk off.

10. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Quote:It's where two chicks run up to each other, give each other the evil eye, and then slam their chests together (think two drunk men belly slamming). I'm not sure how they determine the winner, since it seems to knock both of them off balance a bit. Mine did it until they were about six weeks old and had their pecking order figured out.
    Occasionally now two of my hens will run up to each other, up go the neck feathers while they do the evil eye thing, and then they walk off.

Hmmm...sounds interesting. I think mine are doing something similar. I also witnessed my first game of chickie keep away last night. They were fighting over a piece of paper from the brooder. I took out the torn pieces and put down some fresh before bed last night. It's just as funny to watch the babies play keep away as it is to watch the big girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by