Is this normal Chick behavior?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunkist, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Sunkist

Sunkist New Egg

Dec 16, 2014
    My husband and I are new backyard chicken owners!! We have 3 chicks, and one of them almost looks as if she's having trouble breathing?

This is our first chick experience so I am not sure what is normal and what is not - I want to make sure that I'm taking proper care of them!

Please let me know if this is normal, or what I can do to help her if it's not. :*(

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Yes your chick is having some breathing problems, with a little stridor on exhalation. This could be a sign of a respiratory infection which can be fungal from mold, viral, or bacterial. Did you get the chicks from someone who may have had a carrier of something in their flock? Look for any mold in your brooding area, from spilled waterers and bedding. You could give the chick an antibiotic in the water such as oxytetracycline or LS 50. Make sure there is good air circulation overhead with no direct drafts. Keep the brooder temperature at 90F the first week and 85F the second week, decreasing by 5 degrees weekly. But also make sure there is a cooler area to escape to, so they don't pant from overheating. Put a thermometer on the floor under the heat lamp. Here is a link about respiratory diseases in chickens--read about infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, aspergillosis, and ILT.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would also say that Tylan would be a good antibiotic as well.

4. Sunkist

Sunkist New Egg

Dec 16, 2014
    Thanks for the reply!! I've only had the chicks for 3 days . :( Clean pine bedding, with fresh water every day and plenty of chick food. She'sgot her heat lamp with plenty of space for her to get away from the heat if she gets too warm.

I will give her anitibiotics! Where would be the best and quickest way to get some for her?!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most farm stores carry antibiotics, and they may be in the cattle section. You could also use Tylan 50 injectable given orally--1/8 th of an ml or cc given twice a day for 5 days. You would need to use a syringe and needle to draw it out of the vial, and then take the needle off to give it. Antibiotics for the water only work well if the chick will drink enough of the medicated water, and many times sick birds won't drink well.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by