Is this normal coyote behavior?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Trish1974, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Trish1974

Trish1974 Araucana enthusiast

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    I have often heard/read coyotes run alone. I've also heard/read the presence of a big dog can deter them. Pics on my game camera beg to differ. My neighbor's big dog Hank (I don't know what kind he is but I would put him around 70-80 pounds) often roams my property peeing and marking. I don't mind his presence, as he is very gentle and is good around all animals and livestock. (Plus I have to pick and choose my battles with this particular neighbor). I was also hoping his scent would keep the coyotes at bay. In these series of pics, it appears Hank is the one being stalked by coyotes (note the time stamps). I also have pics of the coyotes running in pairs. Do I have extra aggressive coyotes or is this just maybe the new norm? I'd love to hear thoughts of those more experience with coyotes. I've never seen this many this often on my property before.
    MFDC7277.JPG MFDC7279.JPG MFDC7280.JPG MFDC7282.JPG MFDC7283.JPG MFDC7284.JPG MFDC7286.JPG MFDC7291.JPG MFDC7292.JPG MFDC7293.JPG MFDC7294.JPG
    Another pic of them running in pairs:
    MFDC7417.JPG

2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Mating pairs travel together. I have one in the area.

3. Roo5

Roo5 Chirping

Feb 17, 2019
    He could have just been passing by

Trish1974 likes this.
  4. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Wildlife Biologist

May 4, 2014
    Newberry, Indiana
    Coyotes can run in packs of food is scarce. I don’t believe they are stalking the dog but just investigating the scent. Not saying they won’t engage the dog, but they usually try to avoid larger dogs. Two coyotes will be able to take him down though.

5. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Crowing

Nov 10, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    We listen to the packs of coyotes yapping just about every evening during fall and winter. We have at least 2 packs nearby - I call them East Pack and West Pack. They are still in packs around here - not much wildlife has dropped babies yet so food is still scarce. Birds are still migrating in for the summer.

Sequel, Trish1974 and chrissynemetz like this.
  6. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Crowing

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    In my area they tend to run in packs for most of the year. They're everywhere around here, but I've never had any real problems with them coming inside my fence. I've always assumed that the smell of my dogs kept them out.

BirdsBeesTrees and Trish1974 like this.
  7. Trish1974

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    I have at least 3 different coyotes on my camera every night, and I've been putting it out for about a month now. The plus side is I'm no longer seeing foxes, which was my reason for setting up the camera. Not sure the new residents are any better though. :rolleyes:
    When I moved here 4 years ago, I would see a random coyote only in the fall and winter. Now its a nightly event. I let my ex-husband's nephew hunt my property for deer and waterfowl, for free (I've always been very fond of the kid), and all I asked of him was to come out during coyote season and take out some 'yotes. That has only happened a handful of times over the past 3 years. He always has an excuse. After seeing what the coyote population has come to, I'm thinking someone is going to lose their hunting privilege!

8. A_Fowl_Guy

May 4, 2014
    Newberry, Indiana
    If you can, try a hotwire. They keep coyotes away from coops at night. I have a secure coop and lock mine up at night so I have forgone this method.

Sequel, Miss Lydia and chrissynemetz like this.
  9. Trish1974

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    I do have a hotwire around my coops and run. I'm not worried so much about my chickens but I do have barn cats that I worry about. I lock them up at night, but I have seen coyotes during the day too.

Sequel and chrissynemetz like this.
  10. A_Fowl_Guy

May 4, 2014
    Newberry, Indiana
    Yeah coyotes are crepuscular. You could always try eliminating them yourself.

Sequel, chrissynemetz and Trish1974 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: