Is this normal drake behavior?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by QuackerJackFarms, Jul 25, 2011.

1. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Ok, All of the sudden, starting today, my one and only drake has been showing some seriously aggressive behavior towards one of my 2 chickens. Also, don't know if this is related, I witnessed the same drake trying to.... "get it on"... with the female ducky.

Here are the specifics: 2 chicken hens, 2 ducky hens, 1 drake (All mallards) There house is about 5x5 connected to their run which is about 5x15. Plus they free range during the day.

Also, he doesn't bother the other chicken. Just one of the two.

In fact, that's him in my profile pic.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Due to the fact that drakes have a penis and roosters do not, drakes breeding chicken hens present the possibility of physical damage. Sounds as if it may be time for separate pens until his hormones diminish.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes drakes take a liking to chickens. As sourland points out, this is dangerous for the chickens.

I have been told that drakes need a minimum of three females and some do better with six. Just depends on the drake. Some are more easygoing than others.

I'd keep him away from the chickens, and watch him closely to make sure he doesn't hurt the other ducks. And I'd get some more female ducks.

4. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Thanks! All great advice. Sometimes I just like to hear what others have to say before I act on anything. And I always love an excuse to get more duckies!!! Now onto searching more ideas for the coop. It is a constant work in progress.

Also, I have heard that Mallards are seasonal layers... any chance of some duck eggs? Or do I have to wait till next spring. I've never had Mallards before so that part is new to me.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    With domestic-raised mallards, I don't know about their egg laying. . . .

My runners lay year 'round. Maybe some runner girls, who would be similar in weight to mallard girls . . . . .

6. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Thanks Amiga. I'm obsessively watching for eggs. [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    With the mallards, I'm thinking you won't see eggs until next spring. Runner hens would be great for egg production. When your mallard hen does lay it will probably not be in large quantities. She will probably lay a clutch and then go broody.

8. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Sourland- I've read alot of posts saying the same thing. I got hopeful when the drake started...well, you know... gettin' up close and personal with the female. But actually wants nothing to do with the other female. She gets totally ignored.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by