Is this normal for a black copper marans?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sunnydt, Jul 5, 2010.

1. sunnydt

sunnydt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I have a french black copper marans cockerel that is starting to get the green sheen to his back feathers but also getting a metalic purple sheen as well. Is this normal for a black copper marans? I have not had one with purple feathers before. Its so pretty though. I think hes gonna be a beauty and he was sooooo ugly a few weeks ago with stray feathers going every which way and bald in some areas.

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    All of my birds show both the metallic green and purple. It depends a bit on the lighting. Both ARE gorgeous!

3. cpartist

cpartist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Alachua County FL
    I have that going on with mine. I don't know how "correct" it is, but I think it is much more interesting than just black.
    As TurkeyMountainChickens says it shows up more in certain lighting. Harsh midday sun washes them out, but in the morning
    and late afternoon/evening the colors really show:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    beautiful birds. thank you. [​IMG]
    here is a pic of my rooster but not a very good one.
    this is not the same rooster that i was talking about.
    [​IMG]

here is a pic of my ameraucana. im not sure if its a splash or blue and I think its a cockerel but not sure.
    [​IMG]

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Green sheen is seen as superior in black birds. It supposedly means the black is "stronger" than birds that show both a green and purple sheen or just the purple sheen.

I like the purple sheen myself, but a green sheen can make the bird look as green as zucchini squash!

6. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    im not sure which rooster to keep. I love the purple and green and my other rooster has just green. [​IMG]

7. apc

apc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Chickland, Il
    In most black breeds green sheen is desirable while purple is very undesirable.

8. sunnydt

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma
    thats too bad because I really like the purple but I want to breed the best of the two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by