is this normal for an egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tasha82, Jul 22, 2011.

1. tasha82

tasha82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    hiya one of my chickens laid our first egg yesterday,i thought it was belle who laid it but now im not sure,ive just gone out and where she was laying earlier this morning on the grass theres an egg (i didnt notice it earlier tho)the thing is its alot smaller prob half the six of yesterdays and its abit mushy,really flimsy and thin,had to pick it up carefull its as thin as paper.is this normal??xx

2. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    It is normal for a first egg.
    You still might want to give them some more calcium though, shell grit/oyster shell. just in case.

3. Juiced10

Juiced10 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    Syracse, NY
    Mine have been laying for about a week now. We got an egg that looks a little odd. The shell is not smooth all around. It actually looks layered like ridges around it. Is that normal?

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:x2. It takes a while for a bird's 'laying mechanism' to get working properly and all in the right order. Prepare to find tiny eggs, eggs with no yolk, very pointy eggs, soft shelled eggs, and maybe even weird pink lumps that don't look anything like an egg at all! It'll settle down quite quickly and they should be popping out more uniformly shaped eggs quite soon after they start laying steadily. But like Guinea says, some additional oyster shell for them might be a good idea, just in case they need it.

5. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:yep that's normal too. you'll get those every now and then.

6. tasha82

tasha82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    good panick over then.just the one we got yesterday was normal.obviously quite small tho haha,then todays,im not 100% which one had laid them,xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by