Is this normal for baby chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by willjal, Feb 7, 2011.

1. willjal

willjal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Tuscaloosa
    Just got back from the coop with new chicks. My first time with such young chicks. They are acting very scared and skittish. They also just lay down and sleep?? Do they just need to get used to their new home or is something wrong. Been about 4 hours since I got them home and they havent eaten or drank any water yet.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    You might need to dip their beaks in the water so they know where it is. Otherwise they sound pretty normal.

3. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    How old are they? Sometimes you have to gently dip a few beaks into the water so they know what it is.

4. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    How old are they? I remember when my first flock was very young they would be up and walking one minute and sleeping the next! Do you have a heat source (depending on their age)?

Edited to say -- reread and i agree with the other posters, gently dipping their beaks in the water so they will know where it is!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  5. willjal

willjal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Tuscaloosa
    Im guessing between 1 and 2 weeks. Feather coming in on their wings but not their backs yet. I have a heat source and have done the beak dipping thing and all that. They were just so active in the coop with all the others and just look bewildered now.

6. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    They were probably just a little worn out from the trip home then. They will probably be just fine by morning. [​IMG]

7. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    probably just a little stressed and tired from moving to a new location...
    They'll be fine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by