Is this normal for beginning layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sweepy, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Sweepy

Sweepy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2013
    Virginia
    We have 3 Dominique pullets 23 weeks old. We finally got our first egg last Wednesday. The second egg was on Friday and no eggs since. Is this normal? First egg was perfectly on display in the nesting box. On Friday, I went out and opened the egg door and found the girl on the nest. She got up and out. Later, I found the second egg while turning over the litter in the coop (I didn't even see it until I started raking??). I think she layed the egg in the floor of the coop because I'd scared her off the nest. I thought for sure there'd be an egg today, Sunday. So now, not only am I unsure if this is a normal frequency for a new layer but I'm also worried that the eggs could get lost or damaged on the coop floor. Any advice is appreciated as we are newbies.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] In the beginning egg laying may be all over the place - both in frequency and location. Eventually they will settle into a pattern.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I agree with sourland. They are just getting the egglaying apparatus up and running, so there are some mishaps. I always think of it kind of like a kid getting potty trained--sometimes it sneaks up on them or they aren't paying attention, and then OOPS! an egg, right where they happened to be!

I always find pullet eggs under the perches, like they didn't realize they couldn't lay an egg right there.

4. Sweepy

Sep 8, 2013
    Virginia
    Now been 4 days since the second egg. I understand that veteran layers are not consistently everyday and new layers are sporadic but this just seems too infrequent. I also know that there's nothing I can do to make the eggs come. I guess I'm just so frustrated at thinking we were going to finally start to see the fruits of our labor. Ugh!

5. Sweepy

Sep 8, 2013
    Virginia
    Ok. We're up to 9 days since that last egg (which was only her second). What in the world? Still normal?

6. mejumpmore1

mejumpmore1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Alabama
    I'd say, yes, normal. We had a RIR pullet lay her first two eggs with one day in between and then stopped laying for a little more than a week. After that long break she has been a great layer. She goes 4-5 consecutive days then rests for a day. She laid her first two in the middle of her enclosure but has since been laying in the nesting boxes. Just had to get the swing of things.

We have a dominique who really likes her privacy. She hides between our privacy fence and some pallets that are leaning against the fence that happen to also have metal roofing material blocking the view. A very private laying spot. So long as she continues to lay here or in the nest box, I'm happy....now if she decides to move to another hidden location I just might have words with her. LOL

7. Sweepy

Sep 8, 2013
    Virginia
    13 days and counting. No hidden nest (no run and free range only when being watched due to aggressive predators). Felt for impacted egg. Switched feed back to starter/grower feed instead of layer feed. Separate offering of grit and oyster shell. No evidence of molting. Considering adding light. Not sure what else could be the problem. I wish the 1 girl would've just waited to lay instead of laying 2 eggs and then more. Additionally, what's taking the other 2 of her "sisters" to get going? Any other thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  8. jedgell

jedgell Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    Mid Michigan
    I'm no expert, but I'm thinking that if you aren't using lights, the days might be getting short enough that they won't lay well until spring. I am going through the same thing with my 6 pullets. They are roughly 6 months old and two finally started laying occasionally, but only after I added timed lights. I'm hoping those two will keep laying through the winter. Not sure if the others will or not. I may have to wait until spring for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by