Is this normal for Duck eggs UPDATED WITH PICTURES

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ducks-R-Us, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    I am relatively new to hatching and recently purchased 6 Ancona duck eggs on Eggbid.com from a nearby seller. The seller sent 8 eggs and I am happy to say all have developed well. Yesterday was day 25 so I took the eggs out of the incubator and put them into the hatcher with a little lower temperature and higher humidity. Today is day 26 and 7 of the 8 eggs have bumps or small cracks pushing outward from the shell - none have holes, just a bump pushing outward. I can hear chirping so I do know at least a few are alive. The first bumps were noticed about noon today but nothing more has happened to each egg - just one "bump" pushing outward. Is this normal?

Last week I hatched a few bantam chickens and none of them had bumps like these, they pipped and zipped in just a couple hours.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ducks may poke a little hole or make a bump and then rest for a while. It can take 3 days from the bump to some actual hatching.

3. Ducks-R-Us

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    Thank you for the reply, it sets my mind at ease - for now. I know it's still early but when a couple had bumps, I thought things would be happening today.

I am a little worried because I had some call duck eggs make it all the way to the hatcher and then nothing happened. After day 29 I opened the eggs to find fully developed duckings that didn't hatch, a couple had broken into their airsack but none had pipped.

4. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If you get really worried, you can try CCAARREEFFFUUULLLLYYYY peeling a little of the shell back...but be warned. I did that with my first hatch and I got a little bleeding. It hadn't absorbed the whole yolk yet. (It made it, but it scared the ^&@#^*&@# out of me!)

5. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    You could try CAREFULLY making a tiny air hole in the bump end od each egg to see if that helps them. I wouldn't do any more than that at this point, and be sure your humidity is where it needs to be so they don't stick to their shells.

6. Ducks-R-Us

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    Thanks, I will leave them be for today, since its only day 26, hopefully, I will have some pictures to post tomorrow or the next day.

The humidity is at 74 right now. and the temp is 98.7 - I do see a couple of the eggs wiggling so they must be OK.

7. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    This sounds completely normal for duck eggs, pip on day 25 or 26 and hatch on day 28. Do not mess with them, sounds like you will have an excellent hatch.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    That is totally normal for ducks. They can take 36 or even 48 hours from pip to zip. If you mess with them, you could kill them. It takes forever, but it will be worth the wait. The only time I'd help is if they all hatch but one or two seem to be stuck and are way way behind. Then, maybe.

Good luck!

9. Ducks-R-Us

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    Yes, it must be normal as here are the pictures. Started hatching right away this morning and still have one that is currently zipping. 6 out so far.

I pulled 4 out a little while ago as they were playing soccer with the two remaining eggs and were also trying to eat the fan - I didn't want their beaks chopped off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Awesome!!!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by