Is this normal for fresh eggs?

bow-chicka-bow-bow

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Fuquay-Varina, NC
Ok, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but it has been a long time since I have had fresh eggs. So, most of my 8 ladies have started laying eggs. 5 are BSSL and 3 are EE's. So anyway, I'm averaging 5 to 6 eggs a day now and it may be several days to a week before we eat them. I started putting a number on them each day so I would know which was the oldest and eat those first. I also keep them on my counter in a bowl. So, whether they are 7 or 8 days old or even fresh from the chicken, when I crack them open, the white is very runny, almost like water. Is this normal for fresh eggs or are they missing something? Now, the whole white isn't completely runny, there is some more "solid", to it, but it just seems thinner than I've seen before. The yolks are great with a beautiful golden color. I realize the the ones I used to buy in the store were like a zillion years old by the time we got them, but didn't know if the thickness of the white had anything to do with how old the egg was. I also notice that these fresh eggs seem to cook faster than the commercial ones. They taste great and no one has complained or had any problems with them. (my family asks for a fritatta almost once a week now, so they must taste good.) Am I just experiencing what a really fresh egg is or is there something going on? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

completely normal...a little less runny if stored in refrigerator...if you have an abundance of "old eggs", boil them, put shell and all in blender and feed to chickens....mixed with yogurt or oatmeal...they will love you for the treat.

How long is to long for fresh eggs to be kept if in refrigerator I have heard the ones at the stores can be 3 months old? I have 5 dozen in frig right now they are anywhere from 2 weeks to a day old is this ok

Actually, very fresh eggs from healthy birds should have extremely thick whites, not runny ones. And the yolks should almost stand at attention. Watery whites are from older eggs or from eggs produced by chickens who may have had respiratory illness like Infectious Bronchitis in the past.

I rarely ever see runny whites. If I do, I tend to think the hen has a problem.

I always thought the whites should be firm too, or at least firmer than store bought, and not runny.

I refridgerate my eggs. I put them in cartons, date them and into the frige they go. I was under the impression they would keep for at least 2 months, is that an over estimation??
hu.gif
How long do refrigerated "fresh" eggs stay "fresh" or at least, not go bad?
sickbyc.gif

I got these chickens from a local breeder here when they were a few days old. They are all around 6 or 7 months old and havehad no respiratory issues that I know of. They seem healthy and have had a good diet. The yolks are very firm and the shells are also super thick. So, I don't know what else to do unless I change their diet somehow. They get layer pellets, some scratch. Figs when we had them, water melon, oyster shell at least once a week, plus other "goodies" when available like grass clippings, oatmeal, spagetti noodles. etc. So, could it be that since they stay at room temp, the are aging faster?
hu.gif
The oldest egg that I've eaten may be 10 days if that.

Don't know what the problem is, then. Should not have runny whites from fresh eggs.

I did find one thing besides a bout with IB that can cause watery whites:

From this article
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps020

Watery egg whites have been shown to be caused by high levels of vanadium in the feed. High levels of vanadium can come from certain sources of inorganic phosphorus. Usually these sources are not mined, but certain high-vanadium deposits have occassionaly shown up in the feed industry.

Also, here is a good article about watery whites for you:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/30/watery-whites

Thank you for the info. Since my birds all seem to be healthy, I can only assume that there is possibly high levels of vanadium in the feed. I've been buying Dumor layer feed. And prior to that, it was still the Dumor brand for grower and even the chick starter feed. Recently, my husband was at a different store and got a different brand of layer feed since they didn't have the Dumor there. I can't remember the brand unless I go out and look, but it is an olive green bag. (like that really will help you.) Anyway, I'll see if changing the brand of feed makes any difference. And as I said before, for the most part, the white is solid with just a small watery area, so it isn't the whole white.

I have been keeping the eggs on the counter, but I may put a few in the frig, just to see if there is any difference. I didn't think that eggs that were 10 days old would get runny. But, that is the oldest I have any eggs at. Either way, they still taste great!

Any thoughts on types of feed that may have lower levels of Vanadium or if there is any brand that is better than others?

Back
Top Bottom