Is this normal for Pie? (Silver Magpie)"

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cmart009, Aug 31, 2010.

1. cmart009

cmart009 In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    We have our lovely Silver Magpie, Pie. For the past month or so, we've noticed that when he gets ready to "floof" (Our word for when they shake and puff up their feathers to put them all back into place), he stands up tall, pushes out his chest, and whistles!

Is this normal in a Magpie? Sometimes he makes sort of a bullfrog sound too. It's quite hilarious. The only other time he makes these noises is after he gets his time in with the ladies.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have heard that from both my Pekin and Aylesbury drakes - Not so much from the Runners- But it is a common behaviour.

3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    It's a sexual behavior, actually. Perfectly normal. The drakes do that to attract the ladies. [​IMG]

4. cmart009

cmart009 In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Ah, alright, thank you! My wife and I sort of figured it was something like that. He's a real card sometimes.

5. jmc

jmc Songster

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    known as the 'grunt whistle'- actually it is really the 'whistle grunt'-yes, it is a courtship/display/macho duck/prowess thing, as annie said above.
    in water, they sometimes flick up water with their bill as they rise up, then they lower their head and swim forward a few feet real low or stride forward several steps on land. looks better on water.............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by