Is this normal? Getting worried about one of my girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fwootie, Nov 16, 2013.

1. fwootie

fwootie New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    Australia
    Hi Everyone

We have four girls...two Australorps and two Rhode Island Red. It's raining quite heavy at the moment and one of our Rhode Island Red girls, Joyce, has taken to laying out in the rain as though she is sun baking! She is rolling around in the dirt and we are getting really worried about her. We've been down to check her and she just looks at us...unimpressed that we have disturbed her and then goes back to laying down in the dirt/mud again. The other girls are out in the rain...walking around picking at their scraps and grabbing worms....but I'm really worried about Joyce.

Is this normal behavior?

Sheryl aka worried chookie Mum

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    She's probably just enjoying the rain and mud. I wouldn't worry about it, unless she ends up acting sick, not eating, etc.
    Ours stand out in a warm rain and get drenched, it's their birdbath. [​IMG]

3. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Welcome to BYC also. Enjoy your chickies. [​IMG]

4. fwootie

fwootie New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks Chicknmania...I know I'm probably overreacting...but other than having chickens when I was a child...I don't know that much about them other than what I've learnt in here. It's always good to get advice from someone who knows what they're talking about :)

She's up and about now...scavenging around the yard and pulling up lots of worms...so she's eating fine...I think she just wanted to take a load off and have a bath...funny girl!

Thanks heaps...I'll calm down now [​IMG]

5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    [​IMG]

6. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    How hot has it been getting down there at the bottom of the world?

When it's hot here, my chickens will make a bee-line to any damp soil, yes, even wet mud. They cool down that way, and they also instinctively know that insects surface during very heavy rain.

Some chickens don't mind the rain at all and will hang out in it no matter how wet they get. I had one hen who got left out when a big summer thunder storm rolled in. It hailed and rained to beat the band, and she got totally hammered! But when she came wandering in from the far end of the yard when it was over, she seemed not in the least upset.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by