Is this normal growth?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cicknmama, Mar 14, 2015.

1. cicknmama

cicknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Hi there, new chick mama here. I purchased 2 White Plymouth Rock chicks from Shiptons 17 days ago. These chicks are so big that they spend most of their time laying down. I haven't weighed them but they dwarf my black australorps. Is this normal growth for that breed? I'm concerned because they seem to get winded very easy and seem to have labored breathing. what can anyone tell me?[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    With that size at two weeks, and what you are describing, they look more like they might be meat birds / cornish cross.

3. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Hmmm, the store had them labeled as white rocks. If they are meat birds can I keep them for egg laying?

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Some people have kept them past butchering age (6-8 weeks). I think the secret is lots of free ranging and not allowing them to pig out at the feeder.
    And I agree, they look and sound like meaties. If I were you, think I'd be calling or popping in to visit wherever you purchased them. If they are white Rocks, maybe they can provide proof in the form of a receipt from the hatchery or breeder. If they're meaties and they're selling them as Rocks, that mistake needs to be corrected immediately. They're setting a lot of people up for heartbreak with that mix up.
    Good luck.

5. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Thanks, that was my thought also. I got them at my local Tractor Supply. I was going to call them tomorrow and see if they did indeed mix them up or if they came in mixed up from the hatchery. Im hoping they will exchange them. I bought them as egg layers and pets and cannot cull.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  6. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    I agree that it is a meatie. Most likely a cornish cross. And yes, you can keep them for eggs. They won't lay a lot but the one I had laid HUGE eggs.

I had one named Lucky; named so because she fell off of a Tyson truck. She laid about two eggs a week but when she did, they were consistently double yokers. Once, she laid an egg in an egg in an egg in an egg in an egg. In total, it had NINE yokes. [​IMG] She only lived about ten months but she was happy at least. She was the friendliest chicken I've ever had. She didn't like going up the ramp to sleep in the coop so instead she slept with the dog in the dog house. I'm convinced she thought she was a dog.[​IMG] LOL!!!

Good luck.

7. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana

Awww, how sweet! The sad thing is that these are my first chicks. My 16 yo daughter wanted the experience of having chicks instead of POL pullets. I broke the news to her today and she was quite sad. But she agreed that we should not keep them. She doesn't want to get more attached than she already is and neither do I. They are very sweet and love to be held. I know its going to be hard to take them back, but its for the best. I also need to brig this mixup to their attention if it hasnt been done already.

8. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Well, we decided to keep them. Just too sweet to part with them. And if they have a short life, at least they will be happy...darn things are getting spoiled already with occasional meal wotm. I've read that if you withhold food at night that it will allow their legs to catch up with their bodies. But will this cause too much stress? I would have to separate them from the other chicks.

9. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    It won't hurt the other chicks to go without for 12 hours. Just make it easier on yourself and do them all at one time.

10. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Thanks.....will do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by