Is this normal laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ctcasper, Sep 8, 2008.

1. ctcasper

ctcasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    My hens started laying last saturday and then layed monday, tuesday, friday and hasn't layed yet and it is monday. Is it normal for them to go two days without laying then lay one then go two days without laying when they first start? And will she lay more than that later or only that many? I just wish all 6 hens were laying at least a couple a day, but I guess I have to have patience. Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I know I was told its a cycle. They need time for their bodies to realize what they are doing, so it can be random for awhile! Also, it depends on the breed you have. Some breeds actually only lay randomly about 2-3 times a week normally!

What breed do you have?

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

they lay in "clutch's" some will lay 4 or 5, then stop for 2 days, some will lay for 10 days and stop for 3,,(they get lazy too hehe [​IMG] )

4. ctcasper

ctcasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have 4 bo, 1 red sex link, 1 barred rock all almost 20w, so i know it may take a couple weeks yet for some of them to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by