is this normal mating behavior ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kellswan, Sep 8, 2010.

1. kellswan

kellswan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Massachusetts
    or is my roo an abusive mate? I'm not sure if my roo is just trying to mate ,or just very mean, I don't actually see what he is doing ,but i will hear my hen screech, and when i get outside she is running away from him and sometimes he has feathers (hers) in his beak. is this normal? are they mating ? why is she so upset about it? or is just picking on her?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sounds normal, especially if your roo is young and inexperienced.
    Most roos, but not all, get better at it with time. They learn to mate without getting a beak full of feathers.

3. Marshmallow Man

Marshmallow Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    It's all about dominance.The other day our Tom was sitting on one of the hens backs. Just showing dominance. Eventually the hens get used to it or they hide. We have 1 roo and 12 hens in our chicken flock. About 8 of the hens do what he says. The other 4 tell him where to put it. They'll come inside at night when he says, but other times they wander off and do what they want. He even kicks some of them off the roosting bars, when he wants to.

4. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    My two young boys both use their neck/head feathers to hold on, especially when they (bantams) try to mount the big girls! And I have some hens that verbally bash them the whole time. I can only imagine what they're shouting at them!!!

5. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    When they are mating - - - the roosters back tail feather will curve down over the females rump - - It is a quick motion and then he is done.

When they are young - - - they are trying to learn how to hang on for the ride. They will grab their combs and neck feathers until they figure it out. Your hens will look like crap for a couple of months. It will take him 2 - 3 months to fully figure out his technique.

HOWEVER, If your roo is way bigger than your hens - - - his large size alone can do major damage to the girls. If he is trying to ride way younger pullets or bantams - - - you may need to separate him. He could HURT them.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Uh yup. The mature rooster makes his request to mount a hen by doing the Drop Wing Circle Dance of Love for her. If she submits by squatting, he mounts her. If she refuses his advances, he either asks some more or gives up and looks for another more accommodating gal.

"Teen-aged" roosters don't have any finesse at all, but will chase and grab head or neck feathers of any pullet or hen he can get, then hop on for his ride. Most hens don't like that at all, with good reason. SOME will submit.

This horn-dog rapist mode generally passes within a month or two. If it doesn't, get rid of the roo. Your hens will thank you for it.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Ditto what everyone else said. But also, roosters mature much faster than pullets. So he may be ready, but she may not be ready yet.

8. kellswan

Aug 31, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for all the info, [​IMG] i think that sounds like whats happening, he is a teenager, so i'll give him some time to figure it out. they are both the same age, although she is a bit smaller than he is, in the meantime i'm working on getting more hens for him. not having much luck. most places around here only have chicks for sale in the early spring. anyone from mass. know where i can get hens? [​IMG]

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  10. kellswan

Aug 31, 2010
    Massachusetts
    thanks!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by