1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this normal ? newly hatched chick shedding hair

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosiethechicken, Jun 28, 2011.

1. rosiethechicken

rosiethechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    My broody hen killed poked one of 3 eggs on day 19 and killed the chick inside.
    I took out the two and put them under 40W light.

One hatched today and there is no movement in the other. Will wait few days to see what happens to that egg.

Question: The newly hatched chick (BR) seem to shed the hair. I saw few pieces of hair on the floor (white cloth).
    Is this normal or is it too hot or close to bulb or something else ?

Thanks.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It is normal for them to shed some of their chick down. They will lose lots more as the feathers start to come in as well. No worries. [​IMG]

3. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    when a chick is transitioning from wet to dry [​IMG] (incubator to brooder) it's "poofing" itself up. when the chick is fully poofed or a fluff ball he will have little dust "shedding" off him so to speak. if this is what your talking about tht is 100% normal. if the chick is going bald [​IMG] then something is wrong! [​IMG]

4. rosiethechicken

rosiethechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Thanks Everyone. The chick is not going bald. I saw some black hair segments on the floor and some transparent (almost like wax) like hair segments on her and on the floor.
    Good to know that its normal process.

5. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Glad you were able to save them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by