is this normal on a cochin?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shay20, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    hello another ? from shay20, my red Cochin bantam, has two claws that look upside down one on each foot, i need to know if this is normal with him because I'm supposed to be putting him into show in November. [​IMG]

2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Can you post a pic? If you mean the very back toe then I think it is. My Rooster has a couple that look "upside down" if by that you are meaning backward.
    A pic would be easier to tell you.

3. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    I agree, a pic would help

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sounds like spurs. Could that be what they are?

5. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:no there not the spurs, the spurs are on the back of the leg,thank u for the sugg.
    these are on one of his toes. i dont have my camara right now but i might be able to do some tomorrow. [​IMG]
    this is the only one of his feet i have right now its on the top toe but u cant see his claw that clear in this one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Honestly without running outside and looking at Rhett or one of the girls, I can't say 100% if it's normal or not. I do check their feet on occasion, but that is usually to look at the tops for ingrown feathers.

I do think they have cute chubby feet though...[​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I didnt mean to sound like you were clueless, LOL. Sorry if I did! It just sounded like a description of spurs. I haven't seen what you describe, I dont think, unless....one of my birds has a tough, toenail like piece of skin over the back toenail, and it's just very tough, builtup skin. It does turn upward away from the toe. I look forward to seeing a pic of your bird's "whatever it is".

8. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:i know u didnot mean anything, hey thats what this web is for, for suggestions, help find answers. [​IMG]
    i will try to get a piture tomorrow of his what ever it is [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    They have three front toes and one back toe. It looks like that is what your cochin has. Pretty color!

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They have three front toes, 1 back toe, and a spur on each leg [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by