is this normal or is someone in over drive...????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofdrew, Dec 23, 2008.

1. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay my 3 silkies pullets have been giving me 2 eggs a day for almost a week that means someone is giving me an egg a day
    They always lay in the morning and about the same time every day...I have read that silkies arent good layers plus the winter makes them slow down...I am not complaining mind you just courious as I thought it took a day and a half for them to ovalate?? [​IMG]...

2. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Are you sure it's the same hen every day? If so [​IMG] for her. If not, yay anyway! [​IMG]

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I think a lot of the reason why silkies arent good layers is b/c the seem to go broody every 6 weeks, LOL !!

Mine are doing pretty good in this crapy weather we have been having, no different than my BR's.

4. momofdrew

Today I got 3 eggs!!?? [​IMG] 2 yesterday, 2 for the last 4 days before that ...with 3 silkie pullets....I guess I must be doing something right??? or they are just good happy layers... [​IMG] I guess I better not complain... they could stop because of poor light or cold weather OR molting... they dont molt in the winter do they??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    They're more likely to go broody on you rather than molt, methinks.

Enjoy the eggs!

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Enjoy it while it lasts! I got 4-5 eggs from the 5 silkie girls for a few months... then broody hit.

7. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

My silkie does they same thing and after about three wks of laying an egg a day she will go broody. She has done this twice now.

8. momofdrew

will they all go broody at the same time??They all started laying within 3 weeks of each other...

9. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thats good for you, I get 1 egg a day from 5 pullet/hens, and they are in a heated shed! Those lazy bums.

10. momofdrew

No heat and the temps all week has be about 10 plus 2 blizzards over last weekend...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by