Is this normal? pics

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JaciBlue, Jul 19, 2011.

1. JaciBlue

JaciBlue Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    New Orleans
    I just got a baby muscovy... This is on it's back where the oil gland would be. Is this normal?

[​IMG]

2. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    I would say it looks normal.

3. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    What is it?

4. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Some of our ducklings had areas like that on them. I think the feathers around the oil gland are a little different.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Yep, it's just the oil gland. It has lots of fluff on it for the oil to "seep" onto so it's easier for them to get it on their bills/faces and spread it on their body. It always looks so weird when they're little though! lol

ETA: At least you know what it is now instead of noticing it later, when they're older... My mother saw one of my boys get excited and raise all his feathers up and she caught a glimpse of his bright yellow oil gland feathers and she freaked out.. just swore he had a hole in him and that must have been poo she saw coming out!! she was certain he was going to die.... I almost died when i realized what she was talking about. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  6. JaciBlue

JaciBlue Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    New Orleans
    Ok glad it's normal. My White Crested who is about 3 months doesn't have that on/around her oil gland so I was worried.

7. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    The muscovy ducks have larger oil glands than the other domestic ducks. My Muscovy ducklings have some just like that, and the adults have oil glands that sometimes stand out too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by